I found a pack of desiccated coconut at the deep corner of my freezer, hmm... what should I do... thinking of the way to make full use of it. Flip through the recipe books, finally go straight to Carol's recipe.
Is fun to shape this bread. Cut and show off the inner filling make it looks tempting. I made the filling a night before making the bread, this make the whole process much more organized for me.
When bread was done, the moment I opened the oven, I was captured by the intense coconut's aroma! If you like coconut, this is a must try recipe! Carol's mentioned in her recipe that the bread looks like a chicken feet 凤爪, what do you think :D
Recipe adapted from Carol
I made 11 nos
Ingredients for filling:
70g unsalted butter, soften
100g coconut powder (used 150g desiccated coconut)
60g icing sugar
30g milk powder
25g egg (1 egg)
Ingredients for bread dough:
270g bread flour (used 300g)
30g plain flour
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
1/8 tsp salt
30g unsalted butter
Steps for filling:
1. Place desiccated coconut, icing sugar, milk powder and salt into a bowl.
2. Add in soften butter, use hand to mix well all ingredients until combined.
3. Add in egg and mix well until it form a dough.
4. Cover and keep it in fridge for at least an hour (I keep it overnight)
5. Take out from fridge 10 mins before shaping the bread. Divide into the 11 portions.
Steps for bread:
1. Place all ingredients in a big bowl (except butter and milk), mix the mixture with hand, gradually add in milk, knead to form a rough dough. Add butter and knead to form smooth dough.
2. Spray water on dough, cover and let it proof for 60 mins.3. Punch down the dough, divide the dough into 11 portions, roll dough into a ball, cover and let it rest for 15 mins.
4. Flatten the dough, wrap in the filling, flatten the dough again and roll it into oval shape. Fold it into half and into another half again (the dough now is a triangle with 4 clear layers)
5. Use knife to cut 2 lines on the dough and flip the cut side upwards.
6. Place the dough on baking tray, spray with water and let it proof for another 50 mins.
7. Egg wash the dough before place it into oven.
8. Bake at 170C for 18~20 mins.