Trying to create the matcha baked skin using the previous recipe on Baked Chocolate Mooncakes, the bitterness of the baked skin go well with the sweet lotus paste and the salted egg yolk. This baking is a bit dry on it skins, can improve in future by adding more oil in the dough.
Baked only 4 pieces with 100g mould. Used 1 tsp. of green tea powder.
Baking the traditional baked mooncakes after resting my wrist for some months. The wrist injury incident teaches me a good lesson to treasure what I always take for granted, which is my pleasure hands.
Baking only 20 pieces of mini mooncakes, as a giveaway gift to friends that having a place in my heart.
Recipe: Ingredients: small mould (75g) make 20 pieces Skin Dough: 175 g low protein flour (cake flour) 105 g golden syrup 50 g Rice Bran Oil (or any cooking oil) 1 tsp Alkaline water (lye water) (optional, to get a better shape) Filling: 700 g lotus paste, divide into 20 some sunflower seed 20 salted egg yolks Egg wash: 1 egg yolk Method: Prepare the salted egg yolk:
1. Crack the salted egg, separate the egg yolk with egg white, wash the egg yolk under running water to get rid of the egg white, spray the egg yolk with some Chinese cooking wine. Place on a steamer and steam for 3~4 mins. Set a side to cool.
Prepare the filling:
1. Mix the paste with some sunflower seed.
2. Separate the store bought paste into the portions you want.
3. stuff the egg yolk into the middle of lotus paste and wrap them up, shape into a ball.
4. Set aside.
Prepare the skin dough:
1. In a mixing bowl, mix golden syrup, rice bran oil and alkaline water together, sift in the flour. Mix well and use hand to gentle knead the dough together.
2. Cover the dough with cling wrap, let it rest for an hour in the fridge.
3. Divide the dough into the portions you want.
4. Flatten the skin dough with rolling pin between two pieces of cling wrap, place the filling in the middle and wrap up the dough, shape it into a round ball, use the mooncake presser, press and release the dough into lined baking tray. Repeat until all the dough and filling are done.
5. Bake at preheat oven at 170C for a 10 mins, bring out the mooncakes, cool it for 15 mins, egg wash and bake for another 12 mins or until the mooncakes surface is lightly brown. Cool on wire rack.