19 November 2011

Hakka Yam Abacus 算盘子


I will buy this dish whenever I see there is one selling it. The feel of munching an elasticity and juicy yam abacus balls is why I enjoy this dish so much.

Saw the recipe at Precious Moments many months ago and I told myself at that point of time, I want to try it out. Then saw it again last month at 鲸鱼's blog, and again at I Heart My Bakes. Eventually make my move because of the step by step photos at I Heart My Bakes look easy to prepare.

Oh my! This is delicious! Thanks Edith from Precious Moments, for the details in spelled out the steps.

For the recipe in Chinese, you may refer to 鲸鱼's blog.



Pretty soft yam ball ladies waiting ...


Forgot to add fried shallots while snapping the dish...


Recipe adapted from Precious Moments 
Ingredients for yam balls:

490g steamed yam, mashed
150g tapioca flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup of hot water
2 tbsp oil

Ingredients for stir-frying the yam balls:
3 clove garlic, minced
3 shallot, sliced
4 tbsp dried shrimp, soaked and chopped
250g minced meat (used 100g)
3 mushroom, soaked and sliced thinly
6 black fungus, soaked and sliced thinly


Seasoning:
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
salt to taste (omitted and used 1 tbsp light soy sauce)
1 cup water

Steps:
1. Mix all ingredients together and knead till the dough is smooth. Make sure the flour is well incorporated.
2. Divide into 5g each and roll into a ball. Press your thumprint for the imprint. (I didn't weight the balls, just made them into thumb size balls)
3. Boil a pot of water, add a dash of oil.
4. Add the abacus piece by piece to prevent it from sticking together.
5. Once it float, it is cook. Drain and put into a bowl and add 1 tbsp of oil to prevent it from sticking.
6. Heat some oil and saute shallot and then garlic till fragrant.
7. Add in dried shrimps and continue to fry till fragrant.
8. Add in minced pork, mushroom, black fungus and fry till everything is thoroughly mixed.
9. Add in seasoning and bring to boil.
10. Add in the abacus and stir fry till the liquid dried up.
11. Garnish and serve hot.





29 comments:

  1. I love this yam abacus too ^^ Drooling.....^^

    Oh ya, thanks for following me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya..ya..saw that many ppl cooked it...

    Really getting betahan going to try out this very soon after yr last post on fungus chicken ...hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good, even without the fried shallots :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. 来吃算盘子咯o(^_^)o
    下个月我去s'pore你请我吃huh

    ReplyDelete
  5. 哎哟,我也很爱这个呢!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 我也要我也要
    最近没空逛菜市
    都没买蔬果做料理^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. my mum loves this..i always find it involves quite a bit of work doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesFri Nov 18, 08:51:00 PM 2011

    Looks pro and definitely delicious! I've never ate this before, seen this but has never cross my mind buying it, yam is my favourite though..^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tze, I am Hakka and this is a Hakka dish but I have no clue how to make it. Now I know. Yours looks more delicious than the Hakka Restaurant we frequent. Are you Hakka too?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, such a beautiful dish! I've never heard of yam balls, but they look puffy and delicious! Have a lovely weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  11. 好久没吃算盘子了哟!
    突然有点想念它的味道,嘿嘿!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look amazing, I had yam balls only once in HK, they were great, maybe one day I will also try to make them :-).

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. next time i must try to make the yam dough by myself, usually i bought from outside store..I love this. Your look too yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. yummylittlecooks, thanks!


    董夫人,这个QQ的好好吃,值得一试!


    Wendy,with fired shallots add extra flavour :)


    Sean, 和我有像同口味 :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. 东东,谢谢来访和喜欢!下个月我会飞Australia 三个星期哪 :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Li Shuan, 你那有人买这道吗?


    鲸鱼,等假期一定要做料理哟!


    Lena,mashing, mixing and making the yam balls do take a bit of time, but the result is really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eileen, then you must try it one day since you love to eat yam!


    Verons, I'm Hokkien not Hakka :) This dish is lovely!


    Lizzy, Have a try on this Asian dish, who know you may like it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 小鱼,好,就来我家吃吧 :)


    Sonia, making these yam balls is really fun, have a try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alessandra, thanks for dropping by! Great to know you like Asian dish too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the look of this dish! I saw lots of yam at the market this morning and now I am regretting for not buying some!

    ReplyDelete
  21. 我只吃过一次,
    可能对方煮的口味麻麻地而已。。。。
    所以没再吃了。。。
    下次遇到口碑好的,会再吃过:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never tried this b4 but guess i will like it as i love anything to do with yam...urs looks so tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow those yam balls look so good with the brown gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 第一次来,看到你的美食
    让我口水直流,嘻嘻

    ReplyDelete
  25. your算盘子look so tempting,i wish to learn this dish although i'm not Hakka...

    ReplyDelete
  26. I also like the elasticity texture of the yam abacus balls, I can finish the whole plate ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jeannie, not too late, grab some now :)


    Joelyn, 是的,这道是胜在咬感和口感。


    Yee Er, yes, if you love yam, should give it a try :)


    Angie, the yam balls are very elastic and juicy!


    PynnLee, 谢谢到来!


    Sherleen, I'm not Hakka either.

    Esther, me too :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Am glad you like this one. I have gotten great review from my friend who is a die hard fan of Abacus as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!