(a) 300g radish (shredded)
(b) 220g rice flour, 40g tapioca flour, 20g wheat starch, 250g water, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp sugar
(c) 500ml water (add during frying stage)
Ingredients for frying the radish cake:
3 tbsp chopped sweet pickled radish (chai poh)
3 cloves garlic, minced
some spring onions
some bean sprouts
seasoning (to taste, adjust according to your liking as the sweet pickles radish is a bit salty):
dark soy sauce, kecap manis (sweet dark soy sauce), light soy sauce, pepper, sambal chilli (if using)
Making radish cake:
1. In a mixing bowl, combine (b) and cold water together.
2. Cook (a) with water till soft (turn translucent). Discard water.
3. Heat pan with 1 tbsp oil, fried the shredded radish for 2 mins. pour it into (c). (500ml water)
4. Continue cooking till boiling. stir in flour mixture and cook over low heat all the time until the mixture turns to a thick paste.
5. Pour the batter into a steaming pan. Steam over boiling water for 30 mins. Cool the radish cake thoroughly before cutting into cubes.
Frying radish cake:
1. Heat oil and fry minced garlic and sweet pickled radish till aromatic.
2. Add bean sprouts, chives. Toss until well combined.
3. Add in radish and fry with medium heat until the radish cake turn lightly browned and slightly crisp.
4. Add in seasoning and fry to coat evenly.
5. Push the radish cake to the side of the pan then crack eggs into the pan. Allow the eggs to set slightly before flipping the radish cake over.
6. Finally Garnish with chives and serve hot.