21 November 2011

Chai Kueh (Steamed Vegetable Dumplings)


I fried the jicama with other vegetables yesterday, a big bowl of it, usually I with use the leftover to make spring rolls but today I decided to make Chai Kueh/ Steamed Vegetable Dumplings. 

Well, this attempt was a hard one, out of the eight dumplings only one with unbreakable pastry, the rest have holes on them even before go into the steamer. When I transferred the dumplings to the steamer it was frustrating to see the dumplings skin sticked on my hand and ... torn :(

When WT eat the dumpling, I told him this is $10 each, because of the tidiousness in getting a perfect translucent skin :) If you ask me, will I try it again, the answer is a sure ...yes!

Anyway, thanks 董夫人 for the pastry recipe!

Lesson learnt:
1. First oil your hand when flatten and handle the dumpling skin.
2. Filling must be fried until very dry.  



Recipe for filling from Ah Tze's Kitchen Play
Ingredients:
300g jicama, shredded
3 tbsp dried prawns, soaked and chopped
1 big carrot, shredded
8 small french beans, chopped
2 big pieces of black fungus, soaked and shredded
4 tbsps sugar
1 tbsp salt
3 medium bowl of water
cooking oil
2 tbsps chopped garlic

Steps:
1. Heat the oil in wok, stir-fry garlic until fragrant.
2. Add in dried prawns and fry until fragrant.
3. Add in jicama, carrots, black fungus and french beans. Stir fry for 5 mins, add in water. Let it simmer until the vegetable is soft and cooked. Add in sugar and salt to taste. If you like me, prefer my vegetable to taste sweet to cover the raw smell of the jicama, you may add in more sugar.
4. Let it cool for later use.







Recipe adapted from 董夫人
Ingredients for the dumpling skin
50g Wheat Starch Flour (Tung Mein Fun) (I used about 80g)
50g Tapioca Flour
pinch of salt
102ml hot boiling water (I used 85ml)
3 tbsps oil

Steps:
1. Mixed wheat starch flour and tapioca flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. Pour in boiling water and mixed it thoroughly with a pair of chopstick, until it becomes a dough.
3. Close it up and let it rest for 10 mins.
4. Add in oil gradually and knead into a smooth dough.
5. Rolled out the dough into long shape and divide into 8~9 pieces.

Steps to make Chai Kueh:
1. Lightly oiled the steaming tray.
2. Roll the skin pastry into a circle, stuff in 1 tbsp filling in the center.
3. Pleat the edge or fold the skin into half and wrapped it up tightly.
4. Arrange the Chai Kueh on the steaming tray. Brush with some oil before steaming. Steam for 7~10 mins or until the skin is translucent.


19 comments:

  1. 今天到你了。。。我也mark了很久,应该快开工了。。。。因为我最爱就是沙葛也:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 哇哇!看到都流口水了,真的做到很好的菜包!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tze Tze, u r really fast !!

    Hoho .. Today I cook the black fungus chicken lei ...
    We tried each others recipe ..
    It was so so delicious .. Will post it very soon ...wait me ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really looks difficult. Well done, ah tze.

    And thanks for sharing with me where to get the purple sweet potato. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 饱满的馅料, “涨卜卜”的,好想吃掉它哟!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wowww, i thinking to do this today but too bad not enough ingredients at home...i like this since small small time...haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. 这个要配辣椒酱吃,赞啦! ^_^b

    ReplyDelete
  8. i can have a lot of this, dipping with chili sauce, simply yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesMon Nov 21, 01:11:00 PM 2011

    This didn't look easy to make and you made it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love eating these, sure to buy whenever I see them sold at markets:D
    I am too lazy to make my own lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joelyn, 沙葛这样炒和着软软的皮,是美味的!


    Li Shuan,那有着的好呀?才一粒是勉强可以见人的。不嫌弃就请你吃 :)


    鲸鱼,自家着的就这点好,要吃甚么就放进去 :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 董夫人,thanks for the recipe! My hubby loves the dumplings very much!


    Hanushi, glad that you found the purple sweet potato, they look similar as the Japanese sweet potato, right? But the fresh is purple. Waiting for your new creation!


    小鱼,是涨卜卜呀 :)来请你吃!


    Sherleen,me too, love the texture of this pastry!


    Esther, 对!配辣椒酱是thumb up!


    Sonia, chai kueh is so popular and dipping in chili is yummylicious!


    Eileen,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eileen, with my limited skill this is not easy for me, for you it may be an easy task. Have a try!


    Jeannie, it is not easy for a working mum to handle everything by herself. Yes, buying one is a good option when you need time to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 用一句来说:“赞不绝口哦!”

    ReplyDelete
  15. yeah, i also think it's not easy to make these..the dough . I made this twice long time ago..although the skin didnt break but it was tough. I dont know if i will try that again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love chai kuih with jicama filling, made once but didn't get the right texture for the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sean, 谢谢!


    Lena,this is my first attempt, I'm not sure what went wrong because most of my pastry were very sticky once I wrapped in the filling and they tone :(


    Yee Er, the texture for the pastry is soft but I couldn't get the right pastry skin either because most of the pastry were tone. need to try it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing blog I like it,will be visiting my link !!

    Chai

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!