24 November 2011

Crispy Roast Pork Belly (aka Siew Yoke 脆皮烧肉)


Roast Pork Belly also called Siew Yoke/Siu Yuk in Cantonese or Shao Rou in Mandarin. Is a fatty dish loves by most Chinese. Still remember my father loves roasted meat, if he got the chances he would buy roast pork belly, char siew and roast duck to add on to the table. My sisters, brother and I always like to eat only the salted portion of the meat and leave behind the crispy and fatty portions...which would finished up by my parent. Now we get older and I still love this roast pork belly, not just the salted portion but the whole of it. 

Last year, saw many fellow bloggers homemade the crispy roast pork belly, at that point of time I told myself "I don't think I can do that!" This week, thinking of this dish and want to list this into my recipe collection, I try to look for more information, some used the recipe with an ingredient called nam yuk, I chose to use the recipe without it. My first attempt turned out quite nice, love the taste, the meat is tender and juicy, the crispy rind is crispy but still got room to improve!  This is one of WT's favourite dish, he will be happy to see it when he comes home :)

Thanks Ann from Anncoo Journal for making the recipe easy for me to follow!



Don't want to waste the sauce, I marinated the side of the pork belly as well :)




Recipe adapted from Anncoo Journal
1kg Pork belly, clean and dry
1/2 tbsp Coarse sea salt
1/2 tbsp Sugar
1/2 tbsp Five spice powder (used 1.5 tbsps)
1 tbsp Rice wine (used Shaoxing)

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl until well combined



Steps:
1. Score the flesh part (not the skin) of the pork belly lightly in diagonal lines and rub in the marinade well.
2. Place the marinated side down on a container so it can sit and absorb the flavors. 
3. Use a skewer or satay stick to poke repeatedly on the skin, then rub more salt on the skin only. (I don't have the special skewer and used the satay sticks and...it really need lot of strength to poke thro' the rind...I don't think I did it well enough)
4. Marinate the pork belly uncovered for several hours or overnight in the fridge so that the skin will dry completely. (I placed it overnight in the fridge)
5. When ready to roast, pat dry any moisture left on the skin and place pork in the middle of the oven. Remember to place a foil and pan underneath to enable fat to drip into the pan.
6. Bake in the preheated oven at 180C for 45 mins then switch temperature to 200C for another 20 mins. (Bubbles appeared on rind after I switched the temperature to 200C) The skin will get slightly burnt and charred.
7. Once cooked, remove pork from oven, scrape off any burnt parts with serrated knife  and leave to rest for 10 mins before chopping. 



28 comments:

  1. 烧肉我爱死了
    尤其是那层脆脆的皮:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. 鲸鱼,那么爱呀,好!大包给你 :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. 妈说:烧肉要带点肥才好吃,
    我说:烧肉要带脆皮才好吃,哈哈!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesThu Nov 24, 06:07:00 PM 2011

    So crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks at those tender juicy meat. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, I like this....yummy yummy^o^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tze, your siew yoke looks very very good! Thumbs UP!! My hubby also loves this very much... better don't let him sees this.. 又要吵着要吃。。。呵呵。。

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Tze, very tempting ah your siew yoke! I eat siew yoke once in a while too, but then I don't like the salted part and the fatty portions, so I only eat the lean part only, weird right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Propotion of the pork belly is very nice. Not so fat. The skin is indeed very crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah Tze, wow your siew yoke so tempting and delicious. I'm drooling......
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! I could finish the whole plate! Looks so delicious! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, i cannot tahan seeing this already..saliva dropping..LOL! I must attempt it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My whole family love this dish...always fight for the skin and of course the winner is my elder daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! you have just reminded me I have not cooked this roast pork for a long time already...maybe I should go and get myself a nice piece of pork belly this weekend:D Yours really make me want to eat the whole plate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah Tze, its early morning and I am sitting down here for my fried beehoon (economy style) breakfast and browsing thru the blog. Wah, your siuyork immediately cought my eyes. Very suitable to go with my plain beehoon. hehe...

    I love the crackles they are my favorite part of the siuyork..yumyum

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, that crispy top of the pork looks so delish! Great dish, my friend~

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely love siew yok... gonna try to make this one day! (:

    ReplyDelete
  18. 小鱼,哈哈!肥肉脆皮我都有,来碗饭吗 :)

    Eileen, thanks! is crispy, is salty, is with fatty juicy meat :)


    Edith, yummy yummy, want to try some :)


    myme, hi, thanks for liking this dish!


    Ann, 不怕不怕!再烤烧肉让你先生吃就是了 :)


    Min, lean portion is tender and juicy, not weird at all!


    Vivian, thanks! Have a try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amelia, yes, this is easier than I thought! Have a nice day too!


    Joyce, haha! I can finished whole plate too :DD


    Lena, have a try! is easier than what we think!


    Yee Er, at this point of time only me and my hubby love this dish, Gabriel still say no no to this :P


    Jeannie, go!go!go!


    Li Shuan, ok, packed it for you now :)


    Lizzy, the crispy top worth the most for this dish!


    Jasline, have a try! is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. 这个食谱我也抄下来了,因为感觉里面很湿润,外皮是脆脆的 ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  21. 你大概烤了多少时间。。。我的是慢慢烤,因为怕烤不熟。。。但是一出炉就被扫光光了。。我家c sir最爱了 :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Esther, 是的!


    Joelyn, 是180=45mins , 200=20mins

    ReplyDelete
  23. looks crispy ~ =D

    Regards,
    http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) ..

    ReplyDelete
  24. hi tze, i just realised one of your comments went into my spam box, dont know why but no problem I just read that. It's on my homemade kimchi, you asked about the gochujang paste, i got that from Jusco supermarket here, in the korean food section. If you would like to make them someday and if not available, let me know. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi, I made this but the skin part is very hard. what's the reason?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Delia, my first attempt was successful. Hard skin? I placed my pork belly on the middle rack and baked for 45 mins at 180C and 20 mins at 200C. The fatty oil was dripping all the way. Well some bloggers did mentioned that poking small holes on the rind is crucial to a crispy skin. hope this help.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!