I have been thinking very hard on what to bake for this month Aspiring bakers which is hosted by Min from Min's blog The theme for this month is "Enjoy cupcakes!" I've tried out a few recipes but some of the results end up too sweet, I personally don't like them and I believed my blogger friends and readers won't like it too.
I came across the recipe for Butterfly Cakes in The Australian Women's Weekly this morning, trust my instinct to try this out by adding banana in it, yes, indeed the cake is nice! I baked 12 cupcakes and used 4 of them to create the butterfly cakes. Cutting the round on top of the cupcake is not as easy as I think, my first try, not a clean round wings.
Recipe adapted from The Australian Women's Weekly, cupcakes and cookies
150g self-raising flour
90g softened butter
3 big banana, mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract
110g caster sugar (used 60g)
2 tbsps milk
1 tbsp berry jam
180ml thickened cream, whipped
1 tsp icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced.
2. Whisk the butter to creamy, add in eggs, sugar, extract and milk, beat with electric mixer on low speed until combined. Add in banana, mix well. Add the sifted flour, increase speed to medium, beat until mixture changes to a paler colour.
3. Spoon batter into cases.
4. Bake for 20 mins. Cool on wire rack.
5. Cut a round hole about 3 cm deep in the top of the cake. Halve the rounds of cake to make butterfly wings.
6. Fill the hole with jam, top with cream. Position the wings on the cake, dust with sifted icing sugar.