My previous creation on Steamed Creamy Custard Bun is popular, until today it still my most popular post. I guess lot of people like the creamy custard! This round I'm trying out using Carol's (奶黄馅) creamy custard recipe with modifications in the custard ingredients, more healthy version if compared to my previous creation as no evaporated milk and coconut milk but sweet corn and cheese!
Sweet corn custard filling using ingredients such as milk, butter, sugar, eggs, cheese, sweet corn, corn flour, and plain flour.
Recipe adapted from Carol's 奶黃包, with modifications
Custard Filling Ingredients:
50g caster sugar
50g unsalted butter
10g cheese (used 30g)
25g corn flour
25g plain flour
100g creamy sweet corns (used can sweet corns)
1 chopped salted egg yolk (omitted)
1. Add milk, sugar and butter in pot, stir under low heat until bubbles.
2. Eggs lightly beaten, add in cheese, corn flour and plain flour, mix well the egg mixture.
3. Add the egg mixture batter into (1), stir well.
4. Bring the pot over the low heat, keep stirring until thicken. Add creamy sweet corns and salted egg yolk (omitted), until it form a soft dough.
400g bao flour
1 tsp instant dry yeast
200ml warm milk
some vegetable shortening
1. Place the yeast into warm milk for 5 mins.
2. Add all above dry ingredients into a bowl, graduately pour in the milk. Knead until it form a nonsticky dough, add the vegetable shortening and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
3. Form a ball and place in a bowl cover with damp cloth. Let it proof for 1 hour.
4. Once proofing complete, press out the air and form a long dough. Divide the dough into 18 nos.
5. Flatten the dough, stuff in custard filling in the middle, wrap it into small ball.
6. Place bao dough on a piece of baking paper and let it proof for another 40 mins.
7. Place bao dough in the preheat steamer and steam for 10~12 mins.
Make 18 nos.
The colour of the filling is much pale if compared with the filling that contains custard powder, the filling is very creamy, not crumble and I love the sweet corns in it! The one with coconut milk has stronger frangrance, if you are sweet corns lover this will be the better version!
The baos indeed look very smooth....!! Good job, Ah Tze :)!ReplyDelete
I like the creamy texture filling. Nice! What kind of cheese do you use?ReplyDelete
ahh i love the creamy fillings as well!!! yummylicious!ReplyDelete
>>Cooking Gallery, thank you!
>>Vivian, I'm using Australia's Coon brand shredded cheddar cheese.
>>Jess, haha, try it out then!
the texture look so soft and fluffy! and it look so lovely and yummy, better than those store bought ones! (:ReplyDelete
i've never eaten this before but it looks really good - i guess i should try it soon! :)ReplyDelete
>>Jasmine, the good thing about homemade bao is you can stuff in whatever you like and ... lot of filling ^_^ReplyDelete
>>Janine, welcome! Creamy Sweet Corn Custard Bun is really nice! Waiting to see your creation!
in fact the filling look so tempting!ReplyDelete
Sonia, Gabriel ate the bao because of the filling :)ReplyDelete
Wah all these baos look so delicious... yum yumReplyDelete
This looks yummy and I wished my family like this as much as me.ReplyDelete
both the previous filling and this one sound delciious to me as well but if i make, probably i'll pick this one and the inside texture of the pau looks really fluffy. hope your son has recovered!ReplyDelete
looks delicious and soft^^ReplyDelete
Those steamed buns are to die for!ReplyDelete
Ah Tze, you are so brilliant in making these fresh buns with creamy custard! Gabriel must be happy eating these.ReplyDelete
>>edith, this is kids favourite!!
>>lena, sweet corn and cheese are healthy choices compared to coconut milk. Gabriel is back to school, thanks dear!
>>Bernice, try it out, this is yummy!
>>Angie, Haha, you are a fan of bao!
>>Zoe, thank you for your compliment, creamy custard bun is Gabriel favourite, he loves to lick the filling :D
Lovely bao! I haven't tried making nan huang bao before, but after seeing yours, I will like to try this very much ,hehe.ReplyDelete
Min, try it out, waiting to see your beautiful creation!ReplyDelete
This is something that I will order when I go for dim sum. I just love the sweet gooey filling. I already bookmarked this to try out. Thanks for sharing it with us.ReplyDelete
Gert, try it out! hope to see your beautiful creation soon!ReplyDelete
thank you very much, I like the food and learn from you today!ReplyDelete