Melacca is famous for lot of things such as: chicken rice balls, gula melaka, coffee, art and craft, nyonya kuehs, etc.
I know most of the foodbloggers who love to make kuehs like me will be interested to know where to get the Dried Clitoria Ternatea or Butterfly pea flowers or Bunga telang. With this flower, we are able to produce the food in natural blue. Yes, I managed to buy the flower from Melacca! How I found it? Well, I asked nearly each food stalls which I stopped over at 鸡场街 about this flower, not a single stalls selling it! I managed to buy the flowers from a nyanya kuehs shop at the side lane out from 鸡场街, with RM5.00 a pack. After that I bought another two packs with a cheaper price from an old run down grocery shop at the end of 鸡场街, with RM1.60 a pack.
So sorry that I was in a hurry that I didn't note down the shop's name. The grocery shop is at the left side of the ice kacang stall, opposite the public toilet which is at the end of 鸡场街. With this clue, hope you are able to find the dried clitoria flowers too.
If you are my usual reader you will know that I rarely baked a big cake with the beautiful frosting, the reason of that is it requires time to do the deco and also I have no confidence in baking a big cake.
WT's birthday was on Halloween, as we were just back from Penang and I didn't have time to shop for a good cake, I decided to brave myself baking a cake for him. His answered was "I can buy one when I get home!" Haha...no confident in my cake deco.
The cake sponge is a chiffon cake just because Gabriel likes this kind of soft cake. Do you see the green chiffon cake above? The blue juice of dried clitoria flowers mixed with the egg yolk and egg white turned the batter into green, I was thinking whether this is as simple as blue + yellow = green.
The chocolate ganache didn't turn out well, I tried to stabilise it with a piece of gelatin but it was still runny. I fridged the cake for a few hours before WT cut the cake. He was delighted to see the cake .... haha, at least this is not a plain chiffon cake :) Gabriel also said yummy to this cake!
I really need to practise more on cake baking and deco!
Happy Birthday WT!
Recipe from Ah Tze's kitchen play
6" round springform pan
A. Egg yolk batter
5 egg yolks
90g top flour
15g fine sugar
30ml olive oil
5 tbsps dried clitoria flowers juice
B. Egg white mixture
5 egg whites
1 tsp lemon juice
60g brown sugar
C. Chocolate Ganache
200g dark chocolate, chopped
125ml double cream
1. For egg yolk batter: Mix the egg yolk with sugar, whisk until creamy. Add olive oil. Add the flour alternate with flower juice. Set aside.
2. For egg white mixture: Beat the egg white with lemon juice until foamy, add in half of the sugar, beat in high speed until soft peak, add in another half of sugar until stiff peak.
3. Stir in a portion of B to A. Fold in B to A in 3 portions.
4. Pour in the batter into baking pan, knock the pan on table top to reduce the bubbles forming in between batter. Bake at 170C for 40-45 mins.
5. Once baked, turn upside down the pan to let the cake shrinks to flat top. Let it cool completely before deco.
6. For chocolate ganache: melt the chocolate, cream in a double boiler over barely simmering water, stiring occasionally until smooth, add in the soften gelatin. Set aside to cool and it will thicken slightly. Refrigerate for later use.
7. For Deco: Pour the chocolate ganache on the cake, fridge it for an hour before deco.