This year christmas will be very special for me and my family because we are planning for a family outing, a big outing to celebrate my mum birthday and to say good bye to close family members who will be migrate to Australia.
I've been reading on meringue roulade recipe for sometime, I thaught it was difficult to make because the recipe's photograph looks so challenging to achieve. Meringue roulade is easy to make, you'll have to be patient, patient and patient :)
Recipe from Rachel Lane and Carla Bardi "Cakes: over 200 recipes from around the world"
Meringue roulade (modified on sugar content)
6 egg whites
180g caster sugar
2.5 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Line jelly-roll pan with baking paper and lightly oil the side.
2. Best the egg whites with electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved and glossy.
3. Sift in cornflour and fold the vinegar and vanilla in by hand. Spread the meringue evenly in prepared pan.
4. Bake for 10 mins. Remove from oven and let it cool for 10 mins. The inflated meringue will be flatten.
250ml light cream
3 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
1 tsp vanilla essence
fresh cranberries or can cranberries
1. For the filling, beat cream, sugar, orange zest and vanilla in a bowl until soft peaks form. Add cranberries and stir gently to combine.
2. Lay a clean kitchen towel on work surface and dust with extra icing sugar. Turn meringue out onto the towel and carefully remove the baking paper.
3. Spread the filling over meringue, leaving small space at border. Roll up in the towel, starting from the shortest side. Refrigerate, seam-side down for 2-3 hours. Trim edges and serve.
The meringue roulade was still too soft after 2 hours in refrigerator.
Does the roll looks better? yes, I placed it in freezer overnight, to my surprise the meringue roulade doesn't harden, it is still fluffy but the filling is creamy. I love this dessert.
WOW! This looks fabulous. Never thought meringue can be rolled and I must try this some day. BTW what is the size of your cake tray?ReplyDelete
WOW... I think you have seriously outdone yourself. This looks AMAZING!!! Meringues are very delicate but you have rolled it perfectly :)ReplyDelete
What delicacy you made! Exquisite sensation like eating sweet clouds! I'll walk on air if I am served this! Delicious!!!ReplyDelete
Nice one, but I haven't tried this dessert before, looks yummy :)ReplyDelete
Ann: Thanks! try this out, the dessert is like eating clouds. I'm using swiss roll tray size 33cm x 23cm.ReplyDelete
Kim: Thank you! so sweet of you to give me such an encouraging comment!
Arthur: Thank you for visiting! please help yourself with the meringue roulade!
Min: Thanks! yes, the taste of it is really fluffy.