07 December 2010

Steamed Creamy Custard Bun 奶黄包 (Nai Huang Bao)


My son loves to eat Nai Huang Bao but he only eat it if the custard is creamy, sometimes is hard to find a really creamy custard bun for him. I did my research on the internet and found some videos on how to make the creamy custard bun 奶黄馅制作过程1-4 (videos by irenechanwai), it really helps!

Please click here to see my May 2013 creation on Steamed Creamy Custard Bun.

A
Ingredients:
as the video doesn't specify the portion of ingredients, I come out of my own.
150g custard powder
3 tbsp icing sugar
4 tbsp milk powder
150g coconut milk
50g evaporated milk
2 eggs
oil or  2 tbsp melted butter

Steps:
1. Place custard powder, sugar and milk powder in a bowl. Add coconut milk, whisk until sugar dissolved. Add evaporated milk, stir to combine.
2. Add 1 egg at a time, whisk until incorporated.
3. Add the melted butter.
4. Sieve the liquid. Pour into a lightly grease pan (like A) and steam for 15-20 mins. (it depends on your steamer)

 C

5. Take the pan out from steamer and mash the custard until it is crumble (like C) and knead the custard on clean work surface until smooth (like D).
 
My right upper arm is aching because of the kneading. I think I've build muscle ...

As for the bun dough, I stir the 5g instant dry yeast, 1 tsp baking powder and 80g sugar in a bowl, add 250ml lukewarm water (has to gradually add in). Set aside for 10 mins. Then add the mixture into 400g pau flour, stir using a pair of chopstick until dough is formed (like B). Transfer the dough into lightly floured work surface and knead by hand until smooth and elastic. Add 1 tbsp shortening and knead until the surface is a bit greasy. Cover the dough with wrapping plastic, let it rise in a warm place for about 60 mins. Divide dough into 20g portions. Flatten each dough and stuff in the custard filling. Arrange in a steamer and steam for 10 mins.





Nice Steamed Creamy Custard Bun. I let my son try on the creamy custard and he loves it! Hurrah! I pass the test!

18 comments:

  1. I saw Min posted her delicious bao earlier today and now your custard bun looks very good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Your bao is filled with so much fillings. May I know the custard powder you are using, is it the normal or instant one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann: Thank you! kneading to me is a hard task, suffer muscle pain since this evening...hahaha

    Min: Thanks! I'm using Bird's brand custard powder. I think is the normal type.

    ReplyDelete
  4. come to know about you thru min's blog and your pau also looks very good especially the custard filling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bao looks so perfect and that's why even your little food critic has given you his "thumb up". Yum...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lena: 欢迎!欢迎!Welcome! Thanks for dropping by! Want to link to each other blog? ^_^

    Zoe: Thanks! My boy likes the soft bao, you can try it for your little one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me encanta la comida asiatica .... tu blog y tu cocina tambien saludos MARIMI

    ReplyDelete
  8. Garlutti: Thanks for dropping by and linking to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice step-by-step pictures! I'm wondering about your batter recipe. How much flour did you use?

    Have actually just made these buns following your custard recipe =] My bf loves them, he even says that my baozi tastes better than the ones from dim sum restaurants xD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chrispy, welcome and thanks for trying out the recipe! Glad to know that you and your bf loves the custard buns.

    I used about 400g bao flour, for the ingredients on making bao, you can refer to the below link too, have a great day!
    http://awayofmind.blogspot.com/2011/03/steamed-creamy-sweet-corn-custard-bun.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. ufss, thank you so delicious, ^^ I'm going to do it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,

    is it necessary to use coconut milk in the filling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, for this recipe we need to have coconut milk in the filling. There are others Nai Huang Bao recipe which do not require the coconut milk.

      Delete
  13. This looks really good! I'm sure you pass with flying colours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, can you please tell me which brand of custard powder you used?
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi H Lam, this was made in Singapore. I used Bird's brand custard powder.

      Delete
    2. Hi Tze, why does my bao did not that white? Your look drooling. Can you show me the picture you the flour you using?

      Delete
    3. Hi Tintin, this was made 4 years ago, I'm no longer staying in the same country, sorry can't get the picture of the flour I used.

      Delete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!