After I came back from Penang, Gabriel, WT and I became healthier, no more coughing! My mum fed us daily with double boiled soup and chicken essence. This really make be believed how important it is to add a soup on the table!
Missed Penang very much, suddenly thinking of Nasi Kunyit or Turmeric Rice, the taste of the curry and coconut's fragrance. I cooked the chicken curry the easy way, using Asian Home Gourment brand Indian Chicken Curry paste and added other ingredients to suit my family taste.
The recipe for Turmeric Rice is from UnderWraps! by Debbie Teoh, she wrapped the turmeric rice together with chicken curry to form a dumplings. I prefer to have gravy for my curry, I didn't form a dumpling and boil the turmeric rice but steamed it and served the curry side-by-side with the rice. Eating the rice using hands and dipping it in the curry gravy, oh my, finally quench my craving!!
Recipe for turmeric rice adapted from UnderWraps! by Debbie Teoh with changes
500g glutinous rice
1 tbsp ground turmeric (Kunyit serbuk)
3 pieces dried sour fruit
150ml coconut milk
1 tsp white peppercorns
1 tsp salt
1. Soak washed rice in water mixed with ground turmeric and dried sour fruit slices overnight.
2. Wash and drain the soaked rice.
3. Combine coconut milk, peppercorns, salt and rice in a mixing bowl. Set aside for 1 hour for the flavours to infuse.
4. Steam (3) in the steamer for 20 mins or until the rice is cooked.
Recipe for chicken curry from Ah Tze's kitchen play
1 pack of Asian Home Gourment Indian Chicken Curry paste
chicken, cut into small pieces
3 medium potatoes, cut into cubes
1 big carrot, cut into cubes
1 lemongrass, cut to small length
1 onion, sliced
5 pieces of lime leaves, chopped
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of indian mild turmeric powder
5 table spoons cooking oil
1. Heat Wok with oil, add in onion and lemongrass. Stir-fried for 2 mins.
2. Add carrots and potatoes, stir-fried for 5-8 mins before adding chicken.
3. Add the Asian Home Gourment Chicken Curry Paste, add the mild turmeric powder and water. Add lime leaves and salt. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Reduce heat and cook until chicken is done. Serve warm with Turmeric Rice.