11 October 2011

Pulut Panggang (Grilled Glutinous Rice)


Pulut Panggang is one of my favourite kueh. It is different from the usual nyonya kuehs texture because of its filling, the fragrance and favourful filling makes me want to eat more of it.

When I eat kuehs, I always remember the days I was living in Penang, the day living with parent and grandparent. If the kuehs carry so much memories in our life, we should pass on the fragrant of it to our next generation, let them remember and one day they will recall the life they had together with us.

I bought the banana leave from the day SSB anounced the theme for the month, wanting to make Pulut Panggang, the need of blending the spicies and stir-fry the filling, then steaming the glutinous rice make the recipe looks time consuming. I wait, and wait until the banana leave wither, I told myself, let do it. This morning, taking pockets of time, in and out of kitchen as Gabriel is with me at home. Juggling his needs for me and the food in the kitchen, finally, all over and I tell you making Pulut Panggang is easier then I thought. 





Recipe adapted from Hot Favourites Kuehs & Pastries (No more failed recipes)

Ingredients A
300g glutinous rice
50ml thick coconut milk
1 tsp salt
2 pieces pandan leaves
16 pieces banana leaves (12x15cm)

Ingredients B
150g dried shrimps, chopped
200g grated coconut
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp coriander seed powder
2 tsps pepper
150ml water

Ingredients C
1 piece lemongrass
20g turmeric
3 pieces candlenut (omitted)
2 cloves garlic
5 cloves shallots

Steps:
1. Rinse glutinous rice. Soak in water for 1 hour and drain well. Steam glutinous rice for 20 mins. (I soaked overnight)
2. Mix coconut milk and salt together. Slowly pour coconut milk onto glutinous rice. Add pandan leaves and steam still cooked. The glutinous rice should be soft. Set aside.
3. Blend ingredients C into paste.
4. Fry grated coconut in a dry wok till fragrant. Set aside. Heat 3 tbsps of oil, and fry ingredients C paste till fragrant.
5. Add pepper and coriander seed powder, mix well. Add chopped dried shrimps, grated coconut, salt and sugar and 150ml of water, fry till almost dry. (Remember to taste before adding salt, as some dried shrimps is much salty then the others) Divide filling into 16 equal portions.
6. Rinse banana leaves and heat over dry pan till soft (Rinse with hot water it will soften as well)
7. Spread 1 tbsp (or more) of cooked glutinous rice over the banana leaf, follow by filling, then press tight and roll it up to form a cylinder. Use toothpicks to secure the ends.
8. Grease a flat based pan. Place wrapped glutinous rice on the pan, and grill over low heat till fragrant.



I'm submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #12: Traditional Kueh (October 2011) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker.

18 comments:

  1. Ah Tze, your pulut panggang looks fantastic. I was too lazy to panggang them the last time I made them. Will panggang them in the future. Thanks for sharing.
    Hope you're having a great week a head.
    Blessings,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I loves this alot....I always dreaded trying to make this as I thought it is tedious to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wah, your pulut panggang looks so delicious! My mom used to make this when we were young, love it, one of my very favourite kuih! You did a great job! Pass half a dozen over, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 好赞
    我爱这个
    这几天才想做这个
    现在就在你这里看到了
    棒^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. So this is caled Pulut Panggang. I love all the kuihs but I'm not familiar with the name...:DD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking to do this as well, because I am a glutinous rice super fan as well beside Nasi Lemak, hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, this is very nice and tasty, long time didn't eat. Yours look extremely good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I always thought this is very difficult to do....and I was right hahaha! so many things to prepare!But I guess it's worth it since it's such a delicious kuih:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. 哎哟,你的相片搞得我口水流满地了。我喜欢吃这个,可是想到其复杂的制作步骤就不想动手了。

    ReplyDelete
  10. Made once before, I like it but my husband said kind of weird because he has never tasted it before (he is so suagu..hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I like this, but also dunno the name. Now I know. You are so good at making kuehs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this kind of rice treat...the coconuty shrimp filling sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 这个我也爱吃,小时候常吃,现在好像不怎么看得到。。。我都叫它panggang(^_-)。你的相当有水准,看看里头的馅就知道。。。

    ReplyDelete
  14. havent eaten this for so long..your photos are so well taken!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are lovely! Kuehs are new to me, but I bet they are delicious. I loved hearing your memories of these, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you everyone for your lovely comments, glad that you also love Pulut Panggang as much as I do. Cheers and have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic idea! I love rice...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vancouver Girl Away from HomeThu Aug 23, 10:18:00 AM 2012

    Hi Ah Tze,
    I was looking at making pulut pangang and your recipe was the first to come up! Any tips for someone who's never made pulut pangang in her life is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!