15 August 2011

Easy: Dragon Fruit Chocolate Lotus Paste Snow Skin Mooncakes (with fruit fragance) 巧克力火龙果冰皮月饼



The Mooncake or Lantern Festival which is a traditional harvest festival that is celebrated annually by Chinese will take place sometime between 11 Sep- 10 Oct in Singapore.  I know this is still early to post anything related to Mid Autumn Festival, as the Chinese celebrate the Mid Autumn Festival on the 15th day of the eighth Chinese Lunar month, it should be on 3 Oct this year. But this year I want to try making my own snow skin mooncakes as WT and I are not big fan of the traditional mooncakes as the ingredients used are far too oily for us.


These are my first snow skin mooncakes (冰皮月饼 pingpi mooncakes). I was inspired to create these mooncakes after reading the Pingpi Mooncakes recipe by Wong Sip Moi. However, I made it in an easy way. I bought the premix snow skin mixture which requires to add water and shortening, knead and chill the dough. Strawberry and mango fruit frangance and colouring are added to the snow skin. For the filling inner layer I used the dragon fruit paste and chocolate lotus paste for the outer layer. The snow skin is not yet a perfect combination. It would be better if the skin dough is chilled overnight to give an even firm texture.  

Steps to create double colour tone on the skin:
1. Flatten the yellow mango dough on the table, place the pink strawberry dough on the yellow dough.
2. Roll them up in swiss roll way. Cut into require portions, place the cut side upward. Flatten the dough to create double colour tone. ^_^

Please click here for the recipe to make a snow skin mooncake.



Like the taste of this dragon fruit and chocolate lotus pastes.


 You can make your own beautiful Snow Skin Mooncakes too!
Happy Trying!

29 comments:

  1. 家里没人喜欢吃冰皮
    我只能看你做了:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. 超美丽的冰皮月饼。很厉害弄也!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 鲸鱼,这样呀。。。我得做好来 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joceline, 谢谢喜欢!我还在学工呢,没厉害啦。

    ReplyDelete
  5. 好好卖相! 但我看着看着那蛋黄已开始流口水了!! ^___^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tze, the snowskin mooncake is very very pretty in color! Where did you get the moulds? Is the dragon fruit paste good? I saw PH selling too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 我。。。
    我。。。
    我。。。
    无言。。。
    到现在还没开工,我是怎样啦。。。。5555
    你的月饼好美哦。。。我要一小片就好。。。。

    ReplyDelete
  8. 你的月饼“工程”也开动咯?好漂亮 ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah Tee, 那蛋黄是dragon fruit paste 啦!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ann, pretty moulds right ^^ I got the moulds from Kitchen Capers at Kallang Bahru. Yes, the paste I got it from PH, bought many of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lizzy, thanks! Mooncake is usually make for mid-autumn festival, there is a beautiful love story behind it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. neyeeloh, 这冰皮月饼就漂亮在模子 ^^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow u sure stared early in your mooncake making! Such gorgeos creations!i l like the color combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The colour combi looks nice.
    I just got lanterns for my girls today and seeing ur mooncakes are really lifting up the anticipation to the day itself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi tze, these are so beautiful! now they also have premix snow skin? you mena the colouring and the fruity taste already in the packet itself?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jeannie, this is my first mooncake so has to practise earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where did you buy the Snowskin premix? Nice?

    The mooncakes are so colourful and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wendy, good to see you here! you remind me that I need to buy lantern for Gabriel too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cathy, thanks!I like the mooncake moulds too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lena, premix snow skin is without the taste and colour, you have to add what you want. Phoon Huat is selling the premix snow skin.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hanushi, I got the premix from Phoon Huat. After adding the flavour it taste better, but I suggest adding real fruit puree will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very pretty colours and the words are so clear! How's the taste of the paste? Good? You get from PH?

    ReplyDelete
  23. SSB, yes, I bought the paste from PH at Chip Bee Garden. I like the paste, chocolate lotus paste has a strong chocolate flavour and the dragon fruit taste like real dragon fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. my kids prefer snow skin mooncake than normal baked mooncake, I have to quickly making this before this festival over, and your snow skin mooncake combo sound so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Janine, thanks!

    Sonia, this is my first time making mooncake. Try out the double tone colour mooncake, kids like to see bright colour ^^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!