27 June 2016

Muah Chee (Glutinous Rice Snacks with Peanut and Sugar)


Muah Chee the soft and chewy glutinous rice cake coated with peanut and  sugar... it was not my childhood favourite snack. I only get to try out this Asian snack when I was living in Singapore. My hubby loves this snack very much, I can remember we always buy it from a stall in Chinatown whenever we go there. 

I made Muah Chee years back using microwave method, it was very easy. This round I'm using the recipe which need to cook and fold the dough until it is done. When I was trying out this recipe, I discovered it was hard for us to judge when we should stop folding the glutinous rice dough, it took me a while to exercise my fingers! ^^ The ratio for flour and water has to be 1:1. I'm over joy with the end result. If you make too much and can't finish consume it within a day, you can store it in a airtight container on the kitchen top overnight, reheat in the microwave for a 25 seconds will bring it back to the softness just like freshly make.  


You can watch Loft48 video on how she cooked and folded the dough here

yield: 6 serving




Ingredients: 
2 cups glutinous rice flour
2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
250g ground peanut powder
100g sugar (to your liking)
3 tbsp peanut oil (cooking dough) + 2 tbsp gradually add when folding the dough

Method: 
1. In a container, mix the ground peanut powder, sugar and salt together. Cover and set aside for later.
2. In a bowl, mix the water with glutinous rice flour, mix well.
3. Heat up a non-stick pan at low heat with 3 tbsp of peanut oil, pour in the flour mixture. Using a plastic spatula, gently stir the mixture, keep stirring until the mixture thicken. Use the spatula to pull together the mixture and form a rough dough. 
4. Use a pair of chopstick, each side of your hand handle one and start folding the dough inward, drop a few drops of peanut oil on the dough while you are doing the fold to prevent the dough sticking on the pan. Continue until the dough totally pull away from the side and bottom of the pan, and form smooth dough. 
5. Cut the dough with greased scissors into smaller dough and place it into the peanut mixture container, cut the dough into smaller pieces and coat it with more peanut and sugar. Serve warm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!