Chiffon cake is the cake I love to bake regularly at home, it is a soft and fluffy simple cake, love the way it is with no icing or cake decoration. The best part of baking one still because I love to unmold the cake with bare hands.
My Black Sesame Chiffon Cake doesn't turn out as black as the photo in the recipe book, it confirmed that Keiko is using the pure black sesame paste and mine is not the one. However, I used the fresh crushed black sesame powder, the chiffon cake is filled with black sesame aroma. Try to bake one, you will love it!
I made a minor change in the method of making meringue, the corn flour was added to the egg yolks mixture instead like in the original recipe added to the meringue. It is just because I think the meringue can be whisked better without flour in it.
Note: I will be sifting again, we didn't plan to do it this month, but an opportunity arise and my family think we have to do it before we leave for summer. I know I will be very busy packing up the whole house within a few days time, as the schedule moving date is close to end of this month. Please pardon me if I can not visit your blog to say thank you for supporting Little Thumbs Up as I should do. I will try to schedule the system to post my back log baking as there is still one or two related to milk theme. Thank you!
Recipe adapted from Okashi Sweet Treats Made with Love by Keiko Ishida with minor change
70g pastry flour, sift flour once
5 egg yolks
20g brown sugar
20g black sesame paste
60g water (used milk)
40g canola oil
20g black sesame seeds (used freshly crushed black sesame powder)
10g corn flour/rice flour
5 egg whites
90g caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Combine egg yolks, brown sugar and black sesame paste in a bowl and mix well. Gradually add in the flour (pastry +corn flour+black sesame powder) in small batches. In the mean time alternately add milk and canola oil. Mix until the batter is sticky. (note, the batter should not be too stiff when stir with spatula)
3. Make meringue. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add sugar in 3 batches. Beat until the meringue is stiff peaks.
4. Add 1/3 of the meringue into egg yolk mixture, mix well. Then add the remaining meringue (in 2 batches), FOLD to incorporate completely before adding another batch of meringue.
5. Pour batter into ungreased chiffon cake tube pan. Bake for 45 mins. When done, remove the cake from oven and turn it upside down, leave it to cool.
6. Unmold from cake pan when the cake is completely cool.