23 November 2013

Shui Jian Bao / Sheng Jian Bao (Pan-Fried Pork Bun 水煎包 / 生煎包)


今天突然想吃水煎包(生煎包),那是在"上海1930"餐馆吃过的,好怀恋哟!想想就来玩手工搓面团练练膀力,也好消掉那余下的馒头粉吧 !

Today I have make Shui Jian Bao or Sheng Jian Bao (pan-fried Pork bun), a crispy fried bottom and soft airy top bun. Missed the one at "Shanghai 1930" Restaurant. As I have keep my KitchenAid in box, this is a good chance to make hand knead bun again...after so long ^_* I know tonight I will have to rest my arms straight on bed. 


First time using mantou flour from Taiwan to make Shui/Sheng Jian Bao, previously I always use plain flour. I'm satisfy with the end result, the pleating is easy, about 15~16 pleats for each Shui Jian Bao. After tuck in the last pleat just pinch all the pleats closer at the top to seal up. No proofing require, but just let the dough relax for a 10 mins before dividing. A note for those who has no rolling pin at home: as I have kept my rolling pin in box, I use the palm to flatten the round dough ball. Use your left hand to hold and spin the circle dough disc while using your right hand to thinning and pushing outwards the edge of the circle dough disc. 

When I run through my cooking record then I realized I have not record any baos with pleats on top, snap more photos this round just to record down. I used about 800g mantou flour at one go just to finish the remaining flour, with that it yield about 24 medium size Shui Jian Bao (quite a big piece, the size half of my palm should make smaller a bit next time) The Shui Jian Bao has to eat immediately after pan-fried, if not it will turn a bit hard when cold, so if you are not eating all the baos you make just keep the extra raw baos in freezer for later use. (updated on 4 Dec 2013: No need to thaw the bao when cooking, just place the frozen bao straight to the pan, add oil, 1/3 water of the height of bao, cook with medium fire)

Note: Since 4th November 2013 till today, I have cut down 1 kg. Still long way to go! 加油!








Ingredients for filling:
400g minced pork
1 egg
1 tbsp tapioca flour
100g chives, chopped
1 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp Shao Xin Jiu (or cooking wine)
a dash of black pepper

Method:
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, stir in one direction until all liquid absorb by the meat.

Ingredients for Bao skin:
(24 medium size baos)
800g mantou flour
600ml warm water (gradually add in)
90g sugar
5g instant dry yeast
2 tbsp cooking oil
some sesame seeds
some water for cooking

Method:
1. In a big mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar and dry yeast. Gradually add in water. Use a pair of chopstick to stir the mixture together. Then knead it into smooth dough. Let it rest for 10 mins.
2. Divide the dough into 24 pieces (can divide more), flatten the dough with your palm and press the edge of the dough thinner than the middle part. Stuff in filling. Pleat the dough together and seal it on the top. (can sprinkle sesame seeds on top)
3. Prepare a flat bottom pan, pour in 2 tbsp cooking oil, arrange the bao doughs into the pan, switch on the heat to medium, pour in some warm water (about 1 cm) and cover the pan. Let the water boil and dry in the pan (about 10 mins). When your hear drizzling sound, is time to open the cover.  The bottom of the bao should be golden brown. 
4. Transfer the bao to a serving plate, sprinkle with some sesame seeds. 

Note: Should not heat up the pan with oil in it before you arrange the bao as it will char the bottom of the bao before you manage to pour water in it.