05 March 2011

Penang Hokkian Style Deep Fried Nian Gao


Nian Gao, the glutinous rice cake was one of the best finger food at home.  This is the recipe from home, from my mum and also from my mother-in-law, this is the way a true Penang Hokkian lady would fried their Nian Gao. It is one of the taste ingrained since young. The memory of home and the place where I grown-up become very clear. I placed a piece of crispy fried nian gao in my mouth, the sticky gooey filling melted with the taste of sweet potato, always at the risk of burning the tongue. I remember how far we are now, outside my windows, I can see rain falling from the sky. 

Recipe from Ah Tze's kitchen play
Ingredients:
1 medium size Nian Gao, sliced into 1/2 cm slices.  
50g plain flour
a pinch of salt
50ml water, or lesser
sweet potatoes, sliced into 1/2 cm slices.
oil for deep frying

Steps:
1. Heat oil in wok.
2. Mix the flour and salt, add water and stir into a smooth sticky batter. (gradually add water)
3. Sandwich nian gao into two pieces of sweet potato, dip into the batter and fry over the medium heat until golden brown. (Remember not in high heat to prevent the nian gao from burning and the sweet potato undercook) 
4. Test the softness of sweet potato with a chopstick, it should be able to prick through the sweet potato easily. Drain on kitchen paper before serving.

Notes: 
1. slice sweet potato as thin as you can.
2. Heat oil in wok with high heat. 
3. Fry nian gao over medium heat.


I used chopstick to test the softness of the sweet potato.

9 comments:

  1. nian gao is definatley one of the best chinese delicacy, so versatile and yet can be eaten in so many ways..yum yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is my favorite way to eat nian gao definitely! extremely yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, looks so crispy. I like ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mouth watering crispy nian gao  nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom taught me to cook nian gao this way too! very delicious...I like the picture of your boy in the drawer very much:) so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 我家里没有年糕了,我来吃你的:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lena, steamed nian gao with coconut flakes and a pinch of salt taste good too!



    Jess, haha...we all like deep fried and unhealty food!



    Cathy, the outter skin is very crispy and the inner part is soft gooey!



    Vivian, you are talented cook, quicky fired some today!



    Jeannie, I love that photo very much, he was super mischievous at home...



    鲸鱼,快来哟,这也是最后一粒了!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mil likes to add sweet potato and yam to her nian gao, I like it too. Last year, I found out that having nian gao with roti prata taste great too so I've been making that now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blessed Homemaker, thanks for dropping by! nian gao with roti prata? what a creative way of eating!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!