Dig out my homemade chunky red bean paste which I cooked sometimes ago using 800g of kidney red bean (I used kidney red bean in cans) to make this batch of bread, I just used about 400g of the red bean paste for this bread making. I didn't blend my red bean to smooth paste, it still contain bits of red bean chunk. The good thing about homemade red bean paste is you can control how sweet you want the paste to be.
My son was "wow" by the twisted shape of this bread, however, the soft bread texture and the chunky red bean paste are the real winner.
Recipe adapted from 65C 汤种面包 by 陈郁芬， 花生面包 with changes
25g bread flour
210g bread flour
56g cake flour
20g milk powder
1/2 tsp salt
6g dried instant yeast
84g water roux
22g unsalted butter, chopped into small pieces
800g kidney red bean in cans
some sugar (depends on how sweet you want the bean to be)
3 tbsp cooking oil
1 egg, lightly beaten mixed with 1 tbsp golden syrup
1. Prepare water roux: Cook the bread flour with water in a pot until it thicken, cover, set aside to cool.
2. Prepare the filing: Cook the kidney red bean with water in a saucepan, add sugar. Mash the red bean into paste when it is very soft (Add more water if the red bean paste is still not up to your require softness) Add cooking oil and keep stir fry the red bean paste until the water dry out. When the paste is able to pull away from the bottom of the pan, it means it's ready. Set aside to cool. Take 400g of chunky red bean, divide the red bean into 14 portions, I roll them into small cylinder logs for easy wrap into bread dough.
3. Prepare bread dough: Add all dry ingredients for bread dough in the KA, add water roux and let the KA mix with speed 1 for a min, gradually add water and change the KA speed to 2. When the rough dough is form, add in the butter. Change the KA speed to 4 and let it knead the dough until elastic window pane stage.
4. Cover and let the dough proof until double its size. Punch out the air, and divide the dough into 14 dough balls, let it rest for 10 mins.
5. Flatten the dough into long shape, place a piece of red bean filling in the middle, wrap and seal the edges. Use the palm to flatten the dough a bit, then use the rolling pin to flatten the dough into 10 inch long. Flip the dough and flatten the dough so it will not stick on the worktop.
6. Cut four lines in the middle of the dough, DON'T cut through both ends of the dough. Roll up the dough in one direction, make it into a rod shape, twist the dough to form flower. Tugging the end of the dough underneath to seal the twist.
7. Let the bread dough proof until double its size. Egg wash, bake in the preheat oven at 180C for 6 mins, then bake at 150C for 9 mins.