08 June 2012

Mee Goreng (Indian/Mamak Style Fried Noodles)


My laptop was down and the laptop service centre took a good three weeks to repair it!! Can you imaging how I "damaged" my laptop!! It didn't give me a sign of warning until one day the laptop just couldn't switch on... they (service centre) told me they reformated my laptop and  two major laptop spare parts have been changed, luckily all my data was captured in the external hardisk :)

Well, I am suppose to be very busy right now but I didn't. The TOP for my house seems delay and I am still lazy to start packing up my stuff but ... already start clearing my kitchen. Lot of cooking and baking were done during last three weeks and I will try to post them whenever I have time.  

Ok, come back to my Mee Goreng. This is another delicious Malaysian Indian Style Fried Noodles, the cookbook stated the preparation time is 20 mins, but the real time frame is more than that, if you would like to attempt this recipe try to prepare the chilli paste and the fry tofu a day ahead.

I will be away for short trip, bye! See you next week!








Recipe adapted from Malaysian Hawker Favourites Cookbook by Rohani Jelani

Ingredients:
5 tbsps oil
2 cakes firm tofu
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
100g chicken breast, cut into thin strips
100g medium fresh prawns, peeled and deveined
1 tomato, cut into wedges
300g sliced cabbage
150g mustard greens or bok choy, cut into short lengths
500g fresh yellow egg noodles, rinsed
2 eggs
2-3 tbsps crispy fried shallots
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
4 calamansi limes, cut into wedges

Sauce: (I double the quantity)
2 tbsps soy sauce
2 tbsps black soy sauce
4-5 tbsps tomato ketchup
1 tsp salt
4 tsps sugar

Chilli paste:
6 dried chillies (is ok to use fresh one)
5 shallots, peeled
5 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tsp belachan (dried shrimp paste)

Method:
1. To make sauce: combine all ingredients for sauce in a bowl and set aside.
2. To make the chilli paste: cut chillies into lengths, deseed and drain. Grind the chillies, shallots, garlic and belachan to a smooth paste ina blender, add a little water if necessary to keep the blades turning. Heat 2 tbsps of oil in a wok over medium heat and stir fry the paste untilmixture for 5 mins, Transfer the chillies mixture to a plate, set aside.
3. Halve the tofu and pat dry with kitchen paper. Heat the oil in wok and stir fry the onion and garlic until fragrant, about 2 mins. Add in chicken and stir fry for 3 mins, then add the prawns, tomato, cabbage and mustard greens. Increase the heat to high and stir fry for 2 mins. Add in the chilli paste and tofu and cook for 2 ins. Add the sauce and noodles and stir fry over high heat for 4-5 mins.
4. Make a well in the centre of the wok and add 2 tsps of oil. Add the eggs, scramble and allow to brown slightly. Mix all the ingredients together and serve, garnished with crispy fried shallots abd spring onions, and serve the lime on the side.

15 comments:

  1. looks delicious... one of my fav food too, thanks for sharing and enjoy ur trip

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yummy and spicy..tempting..lov ur presentation!

    http://subhieskitchen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look like mamak mee goreng, sound so yummy. Have a nice vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mamak mee goreng is my favourite! Your mee goreng looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mee goreng, thanks for sharing. Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is not easy to make mamak mee goreng at home. You did it very well! Have a nice trip ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, look so delicious! One plate please, extra pedas!
    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very tempting mee goreng, Tze...
    Happy holiday...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy yummy! Vey tempting indeed! Thanks for sharing the recipe and enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love this type of mamak mee goreng too! So yummy! Lucky so easily available so I don't have to cook it as I don't like to cook noodles:P Have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is my favorite to order at the mamak (along with prata)! yours look very yummilicious! enjoy ur short hol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been waiting for your come back! Having the computer broke down is a nightmare! It happened to me few months ago & everything was gone without much back-up & I lost few hundred photos took for like over 5 dishes!

    Welcome back! I'll need to pack all my things too in 2 weeks time as my house is sold & we are moving out in 4 weeks! May be we should wish each other good luck in packing & unpacking!

    when you said Indian noodles, it just reminds me of mee rebus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good luck in your packing and unpacking Jessie :) this mee goreng is the same as mamak mee goreng.
      to me mee rebus is not like this :)

      Delete
    2. good luck in your packing and unpacking Jessie :) this mee goreng is the same as mamak mee goreng.
      to me mee rebus is not like this :)

      Delete
  13. hi tze, your mee goreng looks fantastic! i love mine with extra chilli and extra lime! enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!