13 November 2013

Sour Hot Soup



This week is a tough week as need to resist the temptation to snap photos on food (><)// while I'm packing up my stuff, I'm clearing the fridge as well. I'm dropping in to post this Thai Sour Hot Soup to support my friend Lena who is hosting the Asian Food Fest for Thailand. Lena is one of my blogger friend who is constantly encouraging me since I started to bake and cook. 

This hot soup is a simple dish, I have one lemongrass, one lime and lemon, one frozen ginger flower (yes, we can't find fresh ginger flower here, the frozen one bought from Mdm Kwong's Restaurant), a big pack of frozen prawns and a half pack of medium size squid left sitting in the fridge (actually there are still lot of stuff in the fridge( _ _;) ), when I saw this soup recipe in my mini Thai Cooking cookbook, I know this is the dish to clear some of my stuff in the fridge. Cooking and preparation time under 30 mins...and sour, sour, sour soup! \(^0^)/ 




Dried Kaffir Lime Leaves, has to soak in hot water before use (Hah...dried one got that distinctive Kaffir Lime's fragrance but fresh one is better)




frozen ginger flower (original recipe didn't use ginger flower, I added it as I like the taste)


Recipe adapted from Step-by-Step Thai Cooking Periplus Mini Cookbooks by Jackie Passmore with minor changes 

Ingredients:
5 cups of fish stock
1 lemongrass, finely chopped
1 lemon, thinly sliced half another half squeeze out as juice
1 small lime, thinly sliced half another half squeeze out as juice
1 ginger flower, finely chopped
2~4 dried kaffir lime leaves
1 fresh red chilli, seeded, chopped
150g prawns (with tail on or without)
8 medium size squid, cleaned, cut into rings
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar (to taste)
1 spring onion, chopped
4 sprigs coriander 

Method:
1. Bring fish stock to boil, add lemongrass, ginger flower, leaves and chilli. Simmer for 6~7 mins. Strain.
2. Add prawns (my one is already peeled and remove vein), squid, fish sauce, sugar. Add in lime and lemon juice. Simmer for 4~5 mins or until the prawns and squid are cooked. Garnish with lemon and lime slices, spring onion and coriander. 



Sour, sour, sour soup! \(^0^)/


I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest ( Thailand ) November 2013 
hosted by frozen wings