This is another overdue post... a light and airy chiffon cake. On Good Friday, our Life Group had a picnic at Jurong West Ave 3 open space area. I baked this pandan chiffon cake and prepared some salmon spread sandwishes to bring along. The texture of the chiffon cake is... super soft, it is tall, light and airy the kids and adults like it very much.
Recipe adapted from Carol's Vanilla Milk Chiffon Cake with minor changes
Ingredients for flour mixture:
6 egg yolks
30g fine sugar
60g olive oil
120g top flour
6 tbsp milk
1 tsp pandan paste (screwpine essence/paste)
a few drops vanilla essence
Ingredients for meringue:
6 egg whites
60g fine sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1. Add fine sugar and egg yolks, whisk until well mix.
2. Add olive oil, sieve in flour alternate with milk in batches. Add pandan paste. Stir until mixture is smooth.
3. In the mixing bowl, whisk egg whites until bubbles, add in lemon juice and sugar. Whisk until the meringue is stiff peak.
4. Add 1/3 of meringue into the egg yolks mixture, mix well. Fold in the rest of meringue in another two batches.
5. Pour the mixture into baking pan. Knock the baking pan on the worktop to release trap bubbles in the battter.
6. Place the baking pan into oven, bake at 170C for 50 mins.
7. When cake is baked. Take it out from oven and turn it upside down immediately. Cool completely before dislodge the cake from mould.