A cooking done in my old place. This dish is the all time favourite in my house. It is simple and easy to cook too. I love to have gravy in this dish as it is yummy to go with steamed white rice. With only this dish on the table, my son can finish his plate.
8 chicken drumsticks, wash and rinse
4 pieces of big potatoes, each cut into 4 wedges, or 6 wedges
20g black fungus, sliced into thin, wash and soak in hot water (it will expand)
4 pieces of dried mushrooms, soak and slice into thin
4~5 pieces of red dates
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp light soy sauce
4 slices ginger
1 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp sugar
100 ml sake or shao xing jiu
400 ml water
1/2 tsp corn starch (option)
1. In a medium pot, boil the potatoes wedges in water. When the water is boiling, leave the potatoes in water to cook for another min. before remove from heat. Drain.
2. Heat the frying pan with 3 tbsp cooking oil. Add sliced ginger and fry till it turns lightly browned. Add minced garlic and fry over low heat until it is fragrant.
3. Add chicken drumstick and fry well over high heat. When the chicken turns its colour to white (sign that it is nearly cooked), add potatoes, mushrooms, red dates, sliced black fungus, stir fry for a min before pour in water. Add light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, sake and sugar. Bring to boil, add more sugar or light soy sauce (to taste).
4. Cover, let it cook over medium low heat till the chicken is cooked thoroughly and the liquid is thicken (about 15~20 mins), if the gravy is too runny can add 1/2 tsp corns starch diluted with 1 tbsp water.
5. Serve hot with steamed rice.