12 August 2013

Thai Green Curry Chicken (Nigella Lawson)



I watched a lot of Nigella's cook show while I was still in Singapore, but never have time to tried on her recipes thinking her recipes are mostly on sweet treat! Alas, I was wrong. This month Cook Like A Star give me a good reason to look into Nigella's recipes. To my surprise, I discovered this ...suppose to be an express version of Curry in a hurry! I love Thai Green Curry, so there is no reason for me not to try it out!

Ok, I don't have chicken fillets and my family member (Hubby) doesn't like too much vegetables in his green curry so I have to change the ingredients a bit to suit my family taste buds, of course Gabriel is out of this :)

I used cherry tomatoes to replace most of the vegetables and 10 small chicken drumlets (as that is what I have in the fridge) which result in longer cooking time needed, but... with Thai Green Curry paste, this is a wonderful dish to go with rice! 

Note: My 7th blog Anniversary and Giveaway still open until 14 August 2013, Australia time 8 am. To participate please go here. Good Luck!



Recipe adapted from Nigella Lawson  with minor modifications
  • Ingredients:
  • tablespoons wok oil
  • tablespoons finely chopped spring onions
  • 3 - tablespoons green Thai curry paste (I used 100g)
  • kilogram chicken thigh fillets (cut into strips about 4 x 2cm / 1½ x ¾ inches) (I used 10 pieces of chicken drumlets as that is what I have)
  • 400 ml can coconut milk
  • 250 ml water (used 500 ml)
  • chicken stock concentrate or cube (omitted)
  • tablespoon Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
  • 185 grams frozen peas (omitted)
  • 200 grams frozen soya beans (omitted)
  • 150 grams frozen fine green beans
  • tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
  • 1 lemongrass, cut into 1 inch length
  • 200g cherry tomatoes, cut into half  

Method:

  1. Heat the wok oil in a large saucepan that owns a lid, drop in the spring onions, cut lemongrass and cook, stirring for a minute or two, then add the green curry paste.
  2. Add the chicken drumlets and keep turning over heat for 2 minutes (I need 10 mins to make sure the chicken drumlets is cooked), before adding the coconut milk, water (i.e. the water plus stock concentrate or cube) and fish sauce, then the frozen peas and soya beans. green beans.
  3. Simmer for 10 minutes ( I simmer for 15 mins. as chicken drumlets need more time to cook than chicken pieces), then add the cheery tomatoes to the mix and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
  4. Serve with rice or noodles, sprinkling the coriander over as you do so. Put out a plate of lime wedges for people to squeeze over as they eat.
Additional information - for gluten free check that the stock cube or concentrate is one of the gluten free brands.




I'm linking this post to Cook like a Star, organised by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids, Joyce from Kitchen Flavours and Anuja from Simple Baking

13 comments:

  1. Hi Tze,

    Like Gabriel, my boy is not a curry lover too... Not surprisingly at all - LOL! Nice that your husband and you like Nigella's version of Thai green curry. Sounds pretty swift and easy to cook this fantastic curry :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, delicious, green curry is always my favorite,i like it. haha, keep some for my lunch today..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice curry chicken dish. Looks simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 哇! 我流口水了, 好赞的咖喱啊!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 好赞的青咖喱,配上一碗白饭就真的very nice了,呵呵呵!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ah Tze,
    Your plate of curry looks very appetizing! Simple and delicious, most of Nigella's recipes are really fuss-free and good. Glad that you have given a recipe of Nigella's a try!
    Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello tze,我自己带白饭来。。哈!哈!哈!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 我来开餐了咯:)
    这道菜我喜欢:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this simple n delicious curry. I'm so lazy to cook or bake lately just go around to appreciate blogger friends good food

    ReplyDelete
  10. I personally like green curry alot and like mine to have lot's of Thai Green Brinja.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pictures! and this dish looks super YUMMS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this looks so delicious and mouth watering. I want to eat this with lots of rice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i actually try this recipe once when i visited my husband neighborhood ,even tried to cook it (my mother inlaw thought me) well its very delicous and very tasty meals indeed

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!