The theme for this Bake Along #27 hosted by Lena, Joyce and Zoe is scones! I have not try baking any scones as I always think it is a difficult task to bake a batch of light and golden scones as it is a test of a good baker. However, I couldn't resist myself in baking one after seeing Jeannie from Baking Diary baking her beautiful Chocolate Chips and Dates Scones....huh, I have most of the ingredients but not buttermilk, so I twist a bit of the recipe using yogurt and self raising flour. Is my lucky day, it comes out with a nice outer crust and light tender crumb ...and is delicious!
Recipe adapted from Baking Diary with changes
(make 9 medium scones)
130g self raising flour
a pinch of salt (to enhance the flavour of scones)
60g butter, cut into pieces
40g chocolate chips
40g dried cranberries
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
80~90ml plain yogurt
1. Preheat oven at 220C with rack in the middle.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Add butter, rub in lightly using fingertips.
3. Combine yogurt with vanilla extract. Make a well in the centre of the flour. Pour in liquid all at once. Mix quickly to a soft dough. (Add a bit more flour if the dough is too wet)
4. Turn onto a floured surface, knead lightly. (Do not over knead the dough) Press out to form a round with 2cm thick.
5. Cut the dough using floured plain round cutter.
6. Bake for 20~25 mins or until scones sound hollow when tapped (lower the oven temperature to 200C when the top of scones is golden brown). Cool on wire rack.