10 May 2012

Steamed Vegetable Dumplings (Chai Kueh)



This steamed vegetables dumplings is commonly refer to as Chai Kueh. It has a soft and chewy crystal dumplings skin and you can stuff whatever you like inside the chai kueh. I am using my leftover dish from yesterday dinner, fried jicama with carrot.

May be due to few days ago I have some practise while making my shrimp dumplings, I find the dough is easier to handle then my first Chai Kueh. No doubt pleating the dumplings still post a big challenge as I sliced my jicama using knife instead of shredded it to thin sliced. When the dumpling skin comes into contact with the jicama gravy it tears easily.

My neighbour's 9 years old son came over to play with Gabriel this afternoon, he had his lunch together with Gabriel and ate the Chai Kueh too. I had 3 pieces for lunch and the remaining 10 pieces will be tonight dinner :) I like this type of cooking, one time preparation serving few meals :D 





Recipe for filling from Ah Tze's Kitchen Play

Ingredients:
300g jicama, (should be shredded)
3 tbsp dried prawns, soaked and chopped
1/2 carrot, shredded
2 tbsps sugar
1 tsp salt
2 medium bowl of water
cooking oil
2 tbsps chopped garlic
some corriander

Step:
1. Heat the oil in wok, stir-fry garlic until fragrant.
2. Add in dried prawns and fry until fragrant.
3. Add in jicama and carrots. Stir fry for 5 mins, add in water. Let it simmer until the vegetable is soft and cooked. Add corriander. Add in sugar and salt to taste. If you like me, prefer my vegetable to taste sweet to cover the raw smell of the jicama, you may add in more sugar. Let it cool for later use.

Recipe for dumpling skin adapted from Hot Favourites Kuehs and Pastries cookbook, with minor changes

Ingredients:
150g wheat starch flour
150g tapioca flour
300 ml hot boiling water
1 tsp salt
1.5 tbsp cooking oil

Step:
1. Place wheat starch flour, tapioca flour, and salt in a bowl. Make a hole in the centre and pour in hot water. Mix well with a pair of chopstick, mix to form a dough.
2. Add oil and knead to form a smooth dough. Cover with wrapping film, set a side to rest for 30 mins.
3. roll dough into long strip. Divide into 14 portions. Dust tabletop with some flour, roll dough to form a thin circle.
4. Wrap 1 tbsp of filling with each dough. Fold into semicircle and seal the opening by pressing the edges together.
5. Line steamer with non stick baking paper. Place the chai kueh on top and steam for 10~15 mins or until the dumpling skin turns translucent.
6. Remove the kueh and brush the surface with some oil. Serve hot.




I am submitting my post to Aspiring Bakers #19: Dim Sum Affair (May 2012) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker

10 comments:

  1. 很美味的样子,我也是cai kuih的粉丝叻,可以吃上好几个,
    下次回来penang,介绍你那个沾cai kuih的辣椒酱,肯定你会喜欢。

    ReplyDelete
  2. 佩服你的耐心:)
    我要吃这个只能买~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. 菜糕是我的命根。。哈哈哈哈~ 现在看了,肚子好饿啊!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, my turn to come to eat yours. Very nice chai bao.

    ReplyDelete
  5. in fact i already bought jicama and will try to make this weekend, love this savoury kueh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love chai kueh! Have been meaning to make this for ages! Yours looks very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i would be happy to eat this kueh as my lunch or dinner...your cai kuehs look tempting to me...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa, more dim sum dishes coming up! How tempting every dishes look. Making me salivate!
    Hope you're enjoying your day, dear.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, they look just as beautiful as your har gow earlier, very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!