12 December 2011

Chocolate Wassant (65C Tangzhong Method)


If you are living in Singapore, for sure you will know one of the famous bread from Provence Bakery is Chocolate Wassant. A soft crust bread with pretty swirl chocolate filling, you taste it before? my son is a big big fan of Chocolate Wassant. This bread really set a high challenge for me, I've been trying for the past few months baking this Chocolate Wassant... but ...my Chocolate Wassant didn't turned out well enough to look close to the one selling at Provence Bakery. The glazing and the chocolate layer are the challenges.

Since I got the right recipe for my Chocolate Marble Toast, I brave myself to use it on Chocolate Wassant. This time my chocolate wassant turned out really close to the one selling at Provence Bakery. Of course there is still room to improve on the shaping of this bread. The credit of this recipe go to Matumoto Youiti 松本洋一. For the steps on folding of dough, please refer to Do What I Like

Next time if I'm going to attempt this again, I'll divide the chocolate dough equal portion with the white dough, as I prefer to see the chocolate wassant with chocolate soft crust rather than the white one. 

P/S: I'm slowing down as the Holiday is near and I'll be taking a long break from my kitchen until mid January. I wish to post another one post before leaving for Melbourne. As for this year Chinese New Year Cookies, I don't think I can bake any of it, but if I do it will be from my sister kitchen :)

 

The clearly defines chocolate lines

four Chocolate Wassant attempts with different recipes and chocolate paste, the third one was with Nutella.


Recipe for 65C Tangzhong
50g bread flour
250ml water

Steps:
1. Add flour to water in a pot, keep stirring it while cook until it reached 65C. or ripples appeared on batter. Set aside to cool.

Recipe adapted from 松本洋一(Soleil 面包教室)
300g bread flour
6g instant dry yeast
30g sugar (if you prefer the bread to taste a bit sweet, then add more sugar)
4g salt
24g milk powder
186g water (I substituted with 70~90ml milk as I added the tangzhong)
30g unsalted butter
1 egg

Chocolate paste:
6g unsweetened cocoa powder
6g water

Glazing:
milk