27 July 2011

Strawberry and Mango Tea Cake Rolls


This roll is using Angie's Recipe "Blueberry Tea Cake Rolls" recipe with minor modification, fall in love at the first sight when I saw Angie's roll somtime in March. Has been trying many times, this is my 4th attempt, unfortunately I still can't get the brown skin for a soft roll, whenever the skin roll is brown, the roll would break half way when I did the roll-up :( I'm using Twinings brand "Strawberry and Mango" tea bags, love the taste of strawberry and mango bits.

Recipe adapted from Angie's Recipe
Ingredients:
Yolk Batter 

4 egg yolks
30 g Maple syrup
50 g Vegetable oil
50 g Milk
90 g Cake flour
2 tea bags Strawberry and Mango tea
2 g Baking powder (omitted

Meringue:
5 egg whites

Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp Lemon juice
100 g Caster sugar (used 60g)

Steps:
1.Line baking tray with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 190C. Beat the egg yolks, maple syrup, vegetable oil and milk until thoroughly blended. Whisk together the cake flour, Strawberry and Mango tea. Sift the flour mixture into the yolk mixture. Fold to combine.



2.Beat egg whites with salt and lemon juice over low speed until frothy and foamy. Gradually add in sugar, increase speed and beat until stiff but not dry. Carefully fold 1/3 of egg white mixture into yolk mixture to lighten it and then carefully fold in remaining whites.


3.Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking tray and smooth the top. Transfer to the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and invert onto a sheet of baking paper dusted with icing sugar. Carefully peel off the the paper liner and trim the edges of cake. Roll up from the short side.

I'm submitting this post to  Aspiring Bakers #9 Swiss Rolling Good Times (JULY 2011) hosted by Obsessedly Involved with Food

 







17 comments:

  1. come for "mum mum" and hug hug....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joelyn, haha, this hour you are free like me ^_^, the roll is not pretty, but is really delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your swiss roll looks soft and spongy! I love the idea of swiss roll without the filling. This make the rolls more healthy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds SO delicious! And it looks so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your roll looks really pretty without the brown skin - makes it even more appealing with the mango and strawberry bits :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed with all the rest that this roll of yours looks very pretty and delicious! I love it:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi tze, this is beautiful! what are those speckles on the roll? does that come from tea?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I saw your reference to Angie's recipe for this swiss roll. I seriously wonder why yours don't hvae that brown layer too. Could it be the heat from your oven?

    Haven't pop in for a while but I am glad that you are moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This swiss roll doesn't have filling? Will it stick well and hold its shape? Did you email to check 孟老师 book? Hope u can get it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sonia, thank you!

    鲸鱼,你可以的因为你的蛋糕都很棒的,试试看。

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vivian, thanks for your compliment!

    Indie, welcome!

    Hanushi and neeyeeloh, thanks!

    Janine, really? you make my day!

    Jeannie, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lena, you mean the bits on the roll? yes, is the dry strawberry and mango bits.

    Edith, I also think is the temperature of my oven, but I still can't get the brown skin :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. SSB, it can roll up thightly without filling, I think the magic is on the maple syrup. Not yet sending my email, my new maid just arrived and lots of things for me to "headache"...will do it soon. thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!