五月，好多朋友将离开卡达尔的月份，说不伤感是假的。 夏炎的空气有时闷热得让人抓慌，菜埔里的菜啊，水果啊，都死轿轿了！日子回到原来的厨房，关在有空调的屋里，心是平静的。我爱我的厨房！那天看到 Fine Cooking 的 Bacon Parmesan Gougeres 就动工了，好一道不用酵母的面包。成品是偏咸带奶酪香有咬劲的软面包，实合加入孩子的午餐合里，当然也是很好的早餐。除了好吃之外，这面包加分在。。。速战速决！
This May a few of my friends are leaving Qatar for good. The sun physically burn the leaves of my Australia Avocado, the plant which took me eight weeks to care from seed, root and sprout! Now, I only hope it can survive the summer. My days back to the kitchen with air-conditioning 24 hours blasting, temperature in the house is cool and my heart is calm.
Saw the Fine Cooking introduces this Bacon Parmesan Gougeres, I swing into action to make this yeast-less bread. The end result is a soft savoury bread with cheesy aroma. Is a good choice for kid's lunch box, of course is a healthy breakfast too. Besides the taste, I like this bread because of its short making time.
Recipe from Fine Cooking
Yield: 13 pieces
4 slices of Bacon or you may used sliced ham
1/2 cup whole milk
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp salt (to taste, can reduce to 1/2 tsp)
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp cayenne (omitted)
1 1/4 cups bread flour, sifted
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 210C. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Cook the bacon in a frying pan over medium low heat until crisp. Transfer to a kitchen paper, chop or cut into small when it is cool down completely.
3. In a small saucepan, bring milk, 1/2 cup of water, the butter and the reserved bacon fat to a simmer over medium heat. Keep stirring with spatula to prevent burn at the bottom of pan.
4. Stir in the salt, onion powder, sugar. Add the flour, and using a wooden spoon, stir very quickly in one direction. The flour will absorb the liquid and form a dough. Continue stirring to cook the flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the saucepan, continue to stir for another one or two mins.
5. Transfer the dough to the electric mixer bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing on medium speed until each is incorporated into the dough, which will change from shiny to sticky as the eggs are worked in. On low speed, stir in one cup of Parmesan cheese and the bacon until just combined.
6. Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop the dough onto the baking sheets. Top the gougeres with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake for ~ 20 mins or until it is puffed and golden. Serve warm.