Do you remember that I bought the blue pea flower or clitoria flower from my trip to Malacca sometime in Nov 2011? yes... it comes with me too ... hehehe! I place the dry flowers in zipper bag and keep it in the freezer, this is the way to let it stay in good condition for long period :)
I'm glad that I have these flowers with me or else it will be very difficult for me to get it here. This is the third time I make the glutinous rice cake and I'm using my previous recipe which is original from My Kitchen Snippets.
600g glutinous rice, wash and soak overnight
350ml coconut milk (I used 200ml)
150ml warm water
4 pandan leaves
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
10 blue pea flowers, soak in warm water, crush it to extract the blue colouring
1. Wash rice and divide it into two equal portion. Soak one part in water and another part in the blue pea flowers juice. Leave them overnight. Soak the rice overnight will help in steaming process.
2. Drain both the rice, put them side by side on steaming tray. Warm the coconut milk, sugar and salt in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and mix well.
3. Drizzle in about half of the coconut milk into the rice. Arrange the pandan leaves on top of the rice and steam the rice over rapid boiling water for 10 mins.
4. Remove the steaming tray, put the pandan leaves aside, mix both rice together and drizzle the balance of the coconut milk, put pandan leaves back on top of the rice again and continue to steam for another 15 mins or until the rice is done.
5. Remove the steaming tray, discard pandan leaves, even out the rice with a spoon and using a banana leaf or aluminum foil press down the rice until well compact.
6. If possible put something heavy to weigh down the rice. Leave it cool.
7. Slice the rice cakes and serve it with coconut jam.