I wanted to make this Tiger Skin Swiss Roll for long, eventually I fulfilled another target set for myself. I have done some searches through the Internet, Victoria Bakers's Tiger Skin Swiss Roll looks promising, but eventually I changed my mind to stick to egg separation method, the method which I'm more confident of. However, I'm thankful for all the steps stated in her blog.
Yes, here you are the Tiger Skin Swiss Roll using egg separation method! Using 12' x 12' square baking tray. 4 eggs. Yummy! Yummy! ^^ One slice of my little tiger roll didn't want to corporate with me while I'm taking the photos, it kept slanting to a side!!!
Chocolate Swiss Roll:
4 egg Yolks
30g fine sugar
30g dark cocoa powder
70g cake flour
40ml corn oil
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
4 egg whites
45g fine sugar
300ml thickening cream
2 tbsp fine sugar
4 egg yolks
30g fine sugar
1. Prepare the Chocolate Swiss Roll: Beat the 4 egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until creamy and light. Add the vanilla essence, corn oil, mix well. Sift the flour and cocoa powder in the bowl in batches, alternate with adding milk. Mix well. Set aside.
2. Prepare the meringue: In a clean bowl add 4 egg whites, use the electric mixer medium speed to beat until bubbles, add in half of the sugar. Mix with high speed for a min then add in the remaining sugar, beat until stiff peak which the meringue didn't drop while the bowl is turned upside down.
3. Take 1/4 of the meringue and mix it together with the chocolate cake batter. Mix well. Then FOLD in the remaining meringue to the chocolate cake batter in 3 batches. Pour the batter into the lined baking tray and bake at preheat oven at 170C for 12-15 mins (depends on your own oven, the temperature and timing may varies a bit)
4. When the cake is done, take it out from oven, flip the cake to a wire rack to cool down. Cover with parchment paper to keep the cake moist.
5. Prepare the Tiger skin pattern: Place the 4 egg yolks, sugar and corn starch in a bowl, use the electric mixer at high speed whisk for 5 mins. Then reduce the speed to 1 or low and whisk for 1 to 2 mins. Spread the batter on to the 12' x 12' lined baking tray, GRILL at preheat oven at 220 for 3-4 mins or until the pattern appeared. When done, take out the cake, let it cool down a bit before flip the cake on the wire rack, remove the parchment paper at the bottom of the cake.
6. Prepare filling: In a clean mixing bowl, add thickening cream and sugar, whisk with electric mixer until it thickened. Spread some of the filling on the chocolate cake sponge, roll up Swiss roll style. Set the cake aside. Then spread some of the filling to the Tiger skin pattern (with the pattern side down), place the chocolate Swiss roll in the middle of the Tiger skin pattern sponge. Wrap it with seal side down. Use a parchment paper to cover the cake and keep it in the freezer for at least 4 hours before cutting. Bring back to room temperature for 30 mins before serving.