10 March 2015

Sweet Potato Donuts 红薯甜甜圈


Recently true realization of the meaning of "if you help someone who is in difficult situation don't expect that person to be kind to you when he/she comes out from the shit". Of course, it pay off for us to see another true character of human being. I thank God for that. 

Today I started my day well with two free cups of chocolate milk from Bread Talk. Doing my usual round of attending to the plant in my garden make me feel refresh and free from any burden. I prefer to be alone in the home doing my own stuff most of the time, it was this way for the pass many years, this really rejuvenate my mind and soul rather than having coffee morning with people, this statement I think will make me "anti-social" in the eyes of many busybody. Life is so short, please let me live the way I want. 

Donuts is popular in my home, this time I added golden sweet potato in it instead of the pumpkinThe water contents in my sweet potato is less compared to my previous pumpkin donuts, so the flour I used is about ~280g. Homemade donuts is healthier choice compared to buying  from outside because we can use fresh cooking oil and lesser sugar in the donuts. I'm going to make another batch these few days! 

Verdict: This donuts remain soft until the third day, no heating up is requires but if compared to my super soft pumpkin donuts, I prefer the soft texture from the pumpkin donuts. The dough for this donuts is not as sticky as the pumpkin donuts. Water contents in the dough is crucial, in future may just use 250g of flour instead of 280g. 




Lovely puff up dough






Yield: 25 pieces
Ingredients:
280g bread flour (used 250g then slowly add the remaining flour when you find the dough is too wet)
5g dried instant yeast
50g sugar
100g cooked golden sweet potato (peeled, steamed and mashed)
50ml cold milk
2 egg yolks
30g butter
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon sugar
icing sugar for coating

Method:
1. Combine flour, yeast, sugar, mashed sweet potato, egg yolks, salt, cinnamon sugar and milk in a bowl, use the electric mixer (dough hook) mix to combine. 
2. Add the butter and continue mixing until it form smooth dough.
3. Remove the dough from the bowl and shape it into a ball. Cover and leave it to proof for about 45 mins or until it double in size.
4. Punch out the air in the dough. Knead and shape the dough into a ball, let the dough rest for 10 mins.
5. Work the dough on a floured surface and gently roll out to 1 cm thickness. Cut with a floured donuts cutter.
6. Cover the dough loosely with a wrapping cling and leave it to rise for about 30 mins. or until it double it size.
7. Deep fry the dough in medium hot oil till it is golden brown.
8. Coat the donuts with icing sugar.


I'm submitting this post to Best Recipes for Everyone March 2015 Event Theme: My Favourite Traditional Kuehorganized by Fion of XuanHom’s Mom and co-hosted by Joceline - Butter, Flour &Me