The Eid Holiday started from today, everyone is at home and I need to whip up a fast meal to feed the hungry tummy! Google the Internet for a while and a recipe which used lime zest in pumpkin soup attracted my attention. I want to know what it tastes like to have lime zest in pumpkin soup! The original recipe is using white wine in the soup but I omitted it because of Gabriel. I added about 100g potatoes and 1 tbsp turmeric powder into the soup to add that extra flavour. Love this thick soup to go with toasted bread, yes the lime zest in the soup really really taste good!!
Happy Eid Mubarak!
Recipe referred to Pumpkin Sweet Potato soup from yummly.com with changes
250g butternut, cut into small cubes
100g sweet potato, cut into cubes
1 carrot, medium, cut into cubes
1 celery rib, cut into cubes
1 medium potato, cut into cubes
1 onion, medium, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
1 tsp mild curry powder
1 tbsp turmeric powder
dash of freshly ground black peppers (to taste)
a pinch of salt (to taste)
1/2 lime zest (garnish)
1. In a soup pot, heat up oil over medium heat, saute the onion for 5 mins until softened, add in carrot, pumpkin, celery, potato, sweet potato stir in the spices. Lower the heat and gently cook for about 5 mins. Add water, stir together. Cover and bring to a slow simmer.
2. Cook the soup for 20 mins or until the vegetables are very tender.
3. Remove from heat and puree the soup with a blender until it is smooth.
4. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add black pepper and salt.
5. Serve in bowl and sprinkle with lime zest. Serve with toasted bread!
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (Oct 2014 Event: PUMPKIN) organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Eileen (Eileen's Diary).