I make this Ajitsuke Tamago or Lava egg a day after I cooked my soya sauce chicken as there is a lot of leftover sauce after all chicken is gone. To make 溏心蛋 lava egg is easy if you know your egg well :D Haha ... Rule number one, leave the egg at room temperature. Rule number two, have a good control on the timing. That's it!
In Masa's cookbook he has this dish but name it as 煮玉子 ahh...don't ask me why because this dish is more famous to be called 溏心蛋 or Ajitsuke Tamago. Recently Jessie of Jessie-Cooking Moments posted her beautiful lava egg, this really encourage me to try out this dish.
I'm using the steps from Masa Cookbook but using the marinated sauce from my soya sauce chicken.
1. Boil water in a saucepan (water must be able to cover the egg), when the water is boiled. Lower down the egg slowly to the pot, boiled the egg for 5 mins, then remove it from heat. Let the egg sit inside the hot water for another 3 mins.
2. Pour out the hot water, wash the egg with cold running water.
3. Then is time to peel off the egg shell. Now, you don't want ugly torn egg at this stage, right? So what you need to do is... gently tap the egg shell against the kitchen worktop, while you are gently tapping the egg, roll the egg on the worktop as well. (be gentle as you can feel the egg yolk is wobbly inside!)
4. Then you will get what you see like in the photo, hairline crack, be sure that the bottom of the egg shell is cracked.
5. First, peel the egg shell from the bottom, slowly peel the shell upward. Then...da, da, the egg will come out smooth and round ^_^
6. Use a spoon, slowly lower the egg into a zipper lock filled with the sauce. Store in fridge.
7. After a day, you will get the beautiful Lava Egg!