04 April 2013

Sweet Potato Angku Kueh (Red Tortoise Cake/Steamed Sweet Potato Glutinous Rice Paste with Mung Bean Filling)


A few days ago, Li Shuan from Helena's Kitchen posted her beautiful purple yam angku kueh, oh...I love that gorgeous purple! I actually trying to get purple sweet potato for my angku kueh but no one selling near my place, give up on purple...but still dreaming on the soft smooth mung bean in the angku filling, I have no choice but to make it ...


This is my second time making these Angku kueh/ red tortoise cake, the first time was in Sept 2011 using beetroot, using the recipe from Reesekitchen. This Sweet Potato Angku Kueh, I'm using recipe from Sonia, Nasi Lemak Lover but for the filling I adapted from Aunty Yochana's recipe. The skin texture is chewy, soft and mung bean texture is smooth and creamy, I love it!  






Recipe for filling adapted from Aunty Yochana 
220g split skinned mung beans (soaked for more than an hour, drain and steam)
120g sugar
150ml water (use homemade pandan juice)
1/4 tsp salt
50g cooking oil
2-3 pcs of pandan leaves (omitted)

Method:
1. Steam the mung beans for about 45 mins, then blend it while hot.
2. Boil 100ml pandan juice, sugar, salt in a wok till boiling.
3. Pour in the blended mung beans and fry.
4. Add in oil and fry till the mung beans mixture almost dry and mix well. 
5. Remove from fire and set aside to cool.
6. Divide the mung beans into small balls.

Recipe for pastry from Nasi Lemak Lover 
300g sweet potatoes (steamed and mashed)
200g glutinous rice flour
1 tbsp rice flour
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp cooking oil
180ml water (gradually add in)
a few drops of red food colouring

Steps for pastry:
1. Mixed all ingredients by hand.
2. Make into a dough, leave for 20-30 minutes.
3. Grab a portion then wrapped in the filling.
4. Dust the mould and dough with some glutinous rice flour before pressing in the dough.
5. Knock out & place on the cut & greased banana leafs.
6. Brush a bit of oil on top of the cut banana leafs before placing the dough on top.
7. Use a steamer, steam on medium heat for 8-10 minutes.
8. When its done, brush oil on top of each kueh to prevent sticking together.





16 comments:

  1. 非常美丽透人的 ang ku kuih。。 厉害。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 换了一个lense, Joceline喜欢呀。 那里那里,说厉害还没我的分哪。

      Delete
  2. 红色真的好艳丽呢
    非常漂亮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 谢谢鲸鱼! 我还是喜欢这Li Shuan的 purple :)
      你去Taiwan的资料好期全,下回我想再去Taiwan时一定得去你家看看!

      Delete
  3. the red is so nice and attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty Ang Ku Kuehs, must be very yummy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 美美的angku,红得好醒目,我喜欢!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice angku ! I like ur red red original colour. I still have some left over filling, i will try to make some original angku during the week end.
    Thanks for mentioning my name on ur post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the colour. Yeah, also notice about the effect of taking these photos! AKK is in my list but I'm waiting for a special occasion to make them. I never make before so I'm scared that my won't turn out nice, hehe! My favourite filling is mung bean filling, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love angku kueh. The red angkus are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the red kuih!! lucky red!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never seen anything like this!!! Looks amazing!!! Wish we could try!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 被你红当当的龟糕吸引进来了。。。
    真漂亮!我也做了,嘻嘻~~在update食谱ing。

    ReplyDelete
  12. How pretty! Adore its deep red colour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the mentioned..You know what, I have yet to make a real red Ang Ku Kueh, hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, this is very very pretty! i have tried this recipe too, it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!