18 May 2012

Prawn Fritters (Cucur Udang)



I made this prawn fritters two weeks ago. My sister in Melbourne loves prawn fritters, she used to buy it from Chew Jetty 姓周桥 in Penang, the place where we were born. So you know my surname now :) My family moved out from Chew Jetty when I was 5 years old. Now Chew Jetty has been classify as one of the Unesco World Heritage. Attached a link (created by Eunice Khong, founder of Travelerfolio) which has photos of Chew Jetty and the prawn fritters stall for my son future reference, hopefully the link will still be there when he read the post.


This recipe is lovely but I changed a bit of the step from the cookbook because I faced difficulty in getting the prawn fritters off the metal ladle. What I did was pouring a scoop of batter into the hot oil directly.



Recipe adapted from Malaysian Hawker Favourites Cookbook by Rohani Jelani
Ingredients:
225g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt
250ml water
50g garlic chives, trimmed into short lengths
100g bean sprouts, rinsed (omitted as I don't like bean sprouts)
oil, for deep frying
20~25 medium fresh prawns, peeled and deveined

Step:
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, turmeric and salt into a mixing bowl. Add water and stir to make a fairly thick batter. Then add the chives and bean sprouts, and stir to mix.

2. Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Use a heatproof, long handled ladle, scoop up the batter to fill the ladle, press 1 or 2 prawns into the batter, then gently lower and pour the batter into the oil. When the crust is formed on the fritter (about 2~3 mins), remove the fritter from oil and drain on paper towels. Repeat until all the batter and pranws are used up.

3. Serve warm with sweet chilli sauce.