15 May 2012

Penang Chee Cheong Fun (Steamed Rice Rolls with Shrimp Paste)


These few weeks I am actually very busy looking for quotation from Interior Designers and Contractors, my new house is going to get TOP soon and next month I'll be busy packing up my stuff and temporary close down my kitchen.  

So this month, let me be crazy over the Dim Sum Affair! My love for Dim Sum can be seen from how frequent I cook and upload the posts...hehehe. All these is just down to two words...贪吃 :D Luckily WT doesn't mind I serve the Dim Sum as main dish for his dinner.

I saw Li Shuan from Helena's Kitchen made her own Chee Cheong Fun sometimes ago, I was really impressed because to me Chee Cheong Fun needs a special tool (a piece of cloth) and a big steamer to make it as thin as possible. However, my craving for Penang Chee Cheong Fun becomes stronger since I have the Shrimp paste (leftover from my previous cooking of Penang Assam Laksa) sitting in the fridge. Li Shuan, thanks for sharing this good recipe!


First time making my Chee Cheong Fun and I think it is really easy then I thought. I made total 10 pieces of rice rolls (Chee Cheong Fun) using my glass tray which is able to sit inside the steamer. The texture of the rice rolls is smooth and soft... my Penang Chee Cheong Fun is born and of course it has to go with the Shrimp paste and sesame seeds and some oil....I forget totally about the fried shallots until I finished my Chee Cheong Fun :) Sorry WT, tonight dinner I don't have any Chee Cheong Fun left for you :D 







I managed to find a video of Penang Chee Cheong Fun on YouTube uploaded by wanderinggoose, this is the way I always eat my Penang Chee Cheong Fun :) 

Recipe adapted from Helena's Kitchen , originally from Shirley@原味生活  with minor changes
(make 10 pieces rice rolls)

Ingredients:
330ml water (use 300ml)
80g rice flour
1 tbsp wheat starch
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 tsp salt

Ingredients for rice rolls sauce from Ah Tze's Kitchen Play
2 tbsp shrimp paste, add a tbsp water on it
some sesame seeds
fried shallot
1 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 tbsp sesame oil

Step:
1. Add the rice flour, wheat stach, corn starch and salt into a bowl, gradually pour in water, mix well until no lump. Add oil and stir well. Set aside for 30 mins. (As in the figure 2, the oil spots spread out after the batter is rest for 30 mins)
2. Place oiled tray into the steamer, when the water is boiled, stir well the batter, ladle and spread a thin layer of batter onto the hot tray. Shake a little to let the batter flow evenly to every corner. Cover and steam for 3~4 mins on high heat.
3. Remove the tray from steamer and use an oiled scapper to roll it up into a cylinder. It will be easy to roll up if the rice roll is thoroughly cooked.
4. Continue to steam another rice roll by oiled the steaming tray and repeat step 2 to 3 until the batter is used up.

5. To serve, you may cut the rice rolls into small cylinders some may like to open up the rice rolls, add oil, shrimp paste, sesame seeds, fried shallot and chillies sauce.



I am submitting my post to Aspiring Bakers #19: Dim Sum Affair (May 2012) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker

17 comments:

  1. Eating with Har kou is also popular in Perak.
    Smelly but good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...totally agreed! thinking of Har Kou many Penang food is with shrimp paste, it makes the food with fishy flavor and most Penangites like that unique flavour :D

      Delete
  2. Hi girl,I also like this recipe very much&is thinking to make it after seeing you posting so many great dim sum recipes on the Aspiring Baking& my version is going to be the HK style because the dim sum place here don't sell the plain Chee Cheong fun like in M'sia& after living here for so long,I've adapted to their style!Finger cross that mine will turn out to be nice like yours& Li Shuan! By the way,packing&unpacking are crazy works to do! I have been doing it for the past few weeks,feel very 'sian' now! Good luck with your house renovation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, I love HK style CCF too, is delicious! Looking forward to your creation!

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favourite dim sum. Used to eat with chillies! Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The CCF texture is smooth and soft, is super nice to slurp the shrimp paste sauce with the chilli sauce :)

      Delete
  4. I also thinking to make this actually, maybe will try next week with Hong Kong CCF which I seen in a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, no need to wait until next week lah, do it this week!! Is easier than we think :) yes, Hong Kong style one is very nice too! Actually, Penang version not sure qualify as Dim Sum or not, I have asked SSB to delete it from the link :)

      Delete
  5. Tze, i am glad that you like this recipe. By the way I have never had Penang style with shrimp paste before. I must try this out one day. Actually that day I make another bath using the same recipe but I roll some prawns and scollops into the the chee cheong fun, they turn out quite nice too. I am waiting for Sonia to share her HK style one later..hehe...

    How long are you going to close down your kitchen for? Don't be away for too long, as I'll miss you n your cooking !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Li Shuan, so late at your side still not sleeping :) Not sure how long le, lot of work need to be done without helper :( Gabriel will be changing school, packing up of stuff, supervise the renovation, etc all this will happen in Jun.

      Delete
  6. My mum made this many years ago. I wonder how come she does not do it now. I am going to show your photos to her and remind her it is time to do it again. You did a nice job there. Look exactly like those sold by my favorite Chee Cheong Fun store near my home:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really amaze me with your numerous posts on dim sum, this one is no exception, looks so professionally done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 就这么决定,这个星期去‘云顶餐厅’吃猪肠粉,但你的卖相也真的好好看,很pandai

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't had this for ages! Mouthwaatering!

    Hope your kitchen won't close too long! Love your fuss free and tasty kitchen creations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, even make your own ccf! it's not easy to find ccf with shrimp paste here but i know there's one in ipoh but very often i'm not able to get it cos it's quite far from my place and furthermore, they close quite early and by the time i go there, it's usually gone! Now going over to see the rest of your previous dim sums!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love CCF and I like your version of making it. Hmmm... my lists are getting longer and longer :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ah Tze, looks like you are busy packing your stuffs now! Made the Chee Cheong Fun on Sunday. It was a nearly disaster! I've marked down Li Shuan's recipe weeks b4 you posted this, so I used her recipe which I think both recipes are very similar. I didn't have a big steamer & used an out of shape wok. Doubled up the amount of the ingredients, failed, failed, failed until the last few ladles of batter, successful! And only 2 rolls of CCF were made. My children & hubby had to have take-away lunch!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!