21 April 2014

Classic English Scones


I actually love to eat scones but I seldom buy it. The most unforgettable scone's eating experience was once I went for a day trip with my sister family and we stop by "Pie in The Sky" restaurant in Victoria selling their hand made scones, it was fluffy, light yummy scones!! Is very hard to find such a perfect scones! 

Today, I swing into my kitchen to make these lovely fluffy light scones just because I lugged back a good baking book from Switzerland! The name of it is "Mastering the Art of Baking" by Anneka Manning. There are so many recipes which I love to try out immediately and making scones is so easy because it doesn't use the electric mixer! 

I gives the recipe a twist by adding orange juice into the scones so I can link this post to Little Thumbs Up Event month April hosted by Anncoo Journal


This recipe produces light and fluffy scones with a golden brown top and it attracts my son to eat and said "I want another one, I love it!" This is how good the scones is! 

Note: Tip of making a successful scones, rubbing the mixing with a flat bladed knife and knead the dough as gentle as you can. 









Recipe adapted from Anneka Manning "Mastering the Art of Baking" with changes
2 1/2 cups self raising flour (used 310g)
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 1/4 oz chilled butter, chopped (used 70g)
1 cup milk (I used 130ml milk + 100ml store bought orange juice)

glaze:
30ml milk + 1 tsp golden syrup 

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 220C.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Use your fingertips to rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the center.
3. Gradually add in the milk and orange juice (leave some for later), mix with a flat bladed knife using a cutting action, until the dough comes together in a clumps. Mix to a soft dough and adding the remaining liquid if necessary. 
4. Use lightly floured hands to gently gather the dough and lift it onto a lightly floured work surface and knead very lightly and briefly to bring it together into a smooth ball. Pat the dough out to 1 inch thick. Use a floured round cutter to cut out the scones.
5. Place the scones on the baking tray and brush lightly with milk and golden syrup mixture. Dust lightly with extra flour, if desired.
6. Bake the scones for 10~12 mins or until they are well risen, golden brown top and sound hollow when tapped on the base. Serve warm with butter and jam. 




I'm submitting this post to Little Thumbs up organised by Bake For Happy Kids, and My Little Favourite DIY, hosted by Ann of Anncoo Journal 

and also linking to 'Cook Your Book #11', hosted by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours

Cook-Your-Books

24 comments:

  1. Hi Tze, your scone looks pretty nice and yummy. This also reminding me that "It's time to bake scone" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, making scones is fast and easy but it also took me years to locate a good recipe!

      Delete
  2. Your scones look really authentic... U know, really English... Hmm... What m I talking about? Hahaha... My hubby will go gaga over this Tze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria, you are good in baking you can make one too! ^_^

      Delete
  3. Your scones look really good. My hubby usually makes them for me whenever I have a craving for them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, your hubby must be also very good in baking!! you are so blessed!

      Delete
  4. Hi Tze, I seldom make scones as I always find them a little too dry. But I'd like to bookmark your recipe, as your scones look very yummy!
    Thanks for linking to LTU :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, scone is best to eat when it is warm. i agreed that lot of scones selling outside are usually dry and hard. This recipe with orange juice produces nice fluffy texture, do give it a try when you are free.

      Delete
  5. Hello Tze, I love scones too. I've made scones with added dried apricot or cranberry. Have not tried with orange juice. I like your scones light & fluffy with golden brown top ... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These scones look so melt-in-mouth and beautiful! Well done, Tze.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tze what lovely and perfect look your scones I have made someones (my Mom love them) but really love these I have to try:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tze your scones are so tempting, I too love to bake scones for their simplicity in putting them together and of course for their deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tze, I love scone very much, your scone looks so yummy n nice, thanks for sharing. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola Tze sus scones son muy lindos y esponjosos ,abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  11. 最近我也在想做司康呢!几年前曾经做过几次,可是外表很难看,就不做了。你的做的很美,看了很喜欢。

    ReplyDelete
  12. The only scones i eat is from a bakery along beach rd but will definitely try your version soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 这个司康一直都想做, 就是排不到期, 找一天吧! 呵呵

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such tall and fluffy scones.I would certainly love the addition of orange flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tze, I seldom eat scones & in fact, I started to learn about it after I came here to work & live. My ex-colleague liked to bake scones & she was so generous to print me some of her favourite recipes. Your scones certainly looked perfect & good idea to add in some orange juice there and that made your scones so special

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Tze,

    Your orange scones must be smelling lovely. Can I ask which are better? Pie in The Sky or yours? Just curious :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!