Who can forget about the date of reunion dinner and the date of Chinese Lunar New Year? This year I did. As my consignment was delay and it came just a few days before reunion dinner, my hubby and me were busy unpacking the 202 boxes until we totally forgot to buy anything to prepare for the reunion dinner. Luckily, my sister has a last minutes arrangement and we had a reunion lunch in restaurant instead.
Hope this post is not too late to wish you a prosperous Chinese New Year and hope year of Snake bring you joy, good health and may all your wishes come true!
I saw the Bak Kwa recipe from Nasi Lemak Lover blog, Bak Kwa in Australia is expensive if compared to Singapore or in Malaysia, so I decided to make one this year, however, I only have minced chicken in my kitchen, therefore I used chicken instead of the traditional pork. If got chances, I will want it to be the traditional Chinese Pork Jerky. Another disappointment about my Bak Kwa is... the top heat function of the oven in my renting place is not working fine, it only work well on the fan baking function :( Oh no, how am I going to do my future baking, sob, sob, sob...
Anyway, my sister family and my hubby said the Bak Kwa taste ok, for me the taste can be better if it is pork.
Recipe adapted from Sonia, Nasi Lemak Lover with minor changes
450g minced chicken
1 tbsp light soy source
1/2 tbsp chinese rice wine
1 tbsp oyster source
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp dark caramel source
1/8 tsp chinese five spices powder
a dash of pepper
1. Mix chicken with seasoning and stir in a direction until mixture become gluey.
2. Cover and place in fridge for few hours.
3. Spread marinated chicken between two layer of baking paper, roll flat with rolling pin.
4. Bake in preheat oven at 160C for 15 to 20 mins, wait until slightly cool cut into desire size.
5. Place the baking tray back to oven, grill at 240C for 10 mins. Flip over another side and grill for another 7 mins until it is slightly burnt.