22 October 2012

Indonesian Batik Agar-Agar (Indonesian Batik Jelly)

 
 
I still remember when I was in primary school, when come the time for year end class party, my mother always make me a tray of agar-agar (Jelly) to bring along. Sometime the agar-agar was in pink where she added rebina or, in orange where she added orange juice. Simple and plain...but all my classmates including me enjoyed the agar-agar so much.
 
In the old days, people used to make the agar (Jelly) using agar flake. It is a natural vegetable gelatin substance produced from a variety of seaweed vegetation. Now the agar-agar has evolved in terms of flavour, texture as well as presentation. We have various choices to make a jelly and the end result always bring surprises. However, one thing never change...agar-agar always cheer up our children. It is for a happy occasion.  
 
Indonesian Batik Agar-Agar the name comes from its pattern. As this jelly is for Gabriel, I omitted the coffee powder.  
 

Recipe adapted from Pretty Little Agar-Agar Recipes Book by Amy Wong
Ingredients A
4 tbsp agar-agar powder
350ml coconut milk (used 300ml)
1350ml water
300g sugar (used 180g)
1/2 tsp salt

Ingredients B (mixed and filtered)
400ml evaporated milk
4 egg yolks

Ingredients C
2.5 tbsp cocoa powder (used 1.5 tbsp as I reduced the sugar)
1/2 tbsp instant coffee powder (omitted)

Method:
1. Boil ingredients A. Add ingredients B and quickly stir. Bring to boil again and divide the mixture into 2 portions.
2. Mix a portion with Ingredients C, stir evenly and filter. Pour the mixture into mould (keep some mixture for later use)
3. When it is half-set, spread some white agar-agar mixture onto cocoa agar-agar mixture. Look at below picture (2). When it is hald-set, use the chopstick to prick into the mixture (I used toothpick).
4. Pour white agar-agar mixture in. Look at below picture (3). When it is half-set, spread some cocoa agar-agar mixture onto white agar-agar mixture. Look at below picture (4). When it is half-set, use chopstick to prick into mixture.
5. Let it completely set before cutting.









I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #24 (October 2012) : Jellies & Puddings hosted by Charmaine of MiMi Bakery House

15 comments:

  1. Tze, Your batik agar agar looks very pretty. I must try this for sure with the coffee flavour. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Ann for your compliment! Looking forward to see your beautiful creation!

      Delete
  2. Nice agar-agar! Looks cool, refreshing and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh....batik agar agar ini macam ah....haha... First time I heard about this ler..... Looks like batik print and I would like to try some pls....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha..yes, when I saw it on the recipe book, I love it too!

      Delete
  4. True true, my mum always loved to make pandan & coconut agar-agar! This batik jelly looks very special, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time seeing batik agar-agar. They are nicely presented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I came across while I was doing my morning search for batik news. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it looks so good that I'm going to have to bookmark it and make some for my kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This looks gorgeous and delicious! I must try this out. The weather is just perfect for agar agar desserts lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What do you call that? Batik agar agar? I think I'm going to try this one. Cause I'm curious about its taste. So, How was it?

    albury accommodation

    ReplyDelete
  9. What do you call that? Batik agar agar? I think I'm going to try this one. Cause I'm curious about its taste. So, How was it?

    albury accommodation

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm sure this tasted very good with cocoa powder too! you're right, most kids love agar2 !

    ReplyDelete
  11. can someone tell me this recipe is good for how many person...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaun, the recipe is for a 6" round pan. as shown on the photos.

      Delete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!