22 March 2012

Fondant Birthday Cake


Finally I make it! A 10" Dinosaur Fondant Cake!

Tomorrow is Gabriel 4th birthday and he will be celebrating it at school with his classmates and teachers. He has asked for a dinosaur cake long ago and I have practised to bake/make it many times, sometime it cross my mind to change plan to buttercream cake thinking of I don't have the skills to make the fondant cake.

There are many time I told myself not to stress out as the last resort is just buy a cake and bring it to school :) I baked the cake in the early morning of Wednesday and decorated it with fondant on the same day, it took me a good 8 hours! Until now my arms still feel the muscle pain from too much kneading, sitting there with the head down all the time is no joking, getting a stiff neck and a good laugh from WT mentioned I lack of excercise :)

I appreciate this learning journey, the self challenge bring up another role of me as a mother to this little boy... I need to bake his birthday cake :) Lot of you inspired me, you bake the beautiful cake for your kids even with so much daily errands. Initially I didn't have the confident on cake deco, but after a few rounds of trying, I've indeed fall in love with this activity :) Thank you my friends for helping me to success!




Homemade the "Happy Birthday" banner for the cake.


Farewell to my hand held mixer of 12 years. She stopped half way while mixing the cake batter and I had sense she have some problems few months back, I told her "come on, finish your last mission!" She completed the mixing duty. She has done a good job and her last mission is Gabriel's birthday cake!



To prevent trimming of the cake domb or to get a flat cake top, cover the cake with a piece of wrapping film/ clean cloth while it is just out from oven, gently press down the cake while the cake is still hot. A technique mentioned on "I am baker" blog, it really work!




33 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your son! I am sure he will be delighted with the cake. It looks really cute. I made a stegosaurus one for my son years ago but not with fondant. I used chees-its for the plates and spikes. It was fun!

    Good to finally "meet" you. Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son and his classmates were happy to see the dinosaur cake, they gave the cake a "WOW!!" ^_^

      Nice to "meet" you too :)

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to your son. He is lucky to have you. So, you planning to buy a new handheld mixer or a stand mixer ? But I think we need both since we bake a lot, hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. 搅拌机终于光荣退休了:)
    也算成功完成它生前最后一个任务

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tze, I tried to leave you msg several times today but failed to do so. It appears that only members can leave commet but I was already one of the members. ?? ??

    Happy Birthday to Gabriel! Your fondant skill has improved tremendously. I love the little cute dinosaurs and the bday banner. Well Done Tze!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bukan lah...by mistake it was changed to that setting, had changed it back after I discovered about it.

      Still lot of room for improvement le :)

      Delete
  5. Absolutely drooling over this. ... 

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi tze, you'er really a wonderful person and a mom, i can read from your previous posts that you really find ways to make this fondant cake!So now you're going to get a stand mixer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, you make me pei sei lah... just doing what a mom should do :)
      yes, need a handheld mixer, I think ^_^

      Delete
  7. 12 years is indeed a long time! And she served you well! time for a new mixer! Splurge on a good machine la! 旧的不去,新的不来!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 12 years ago, the philip mixer was my bday present that cost only $60+...是的,旧的不去,新的不来!

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday to your son :)
    Although it took 8 hours to complete, but worth it right? Especially when you see his smiling face :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really satisfying seeing the end result! Not just my boy love it his classmates too :)

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday to Gabriel !

    U are a great mother, Gabriel must be proud of u.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a masterpiece!
    Happy Birthday to Gabriel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Gabriel's cake looks amazing! I'm sure he is thrilled with it!!! Happy birthday to your sweet boy~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I made such a cake, am happy with the end result!

      Delete
  12. Happy Birthday to Gabriel! The cake is beautiful, you are becoming a pro at fondant decoration! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to Prince Gabriel!!!
    He must have love this Dinosaur Fondant Cake so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to see you coming over, fully recovered already? My son and hubby are sick these few days...

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday to your boy, Tze! Wish him all the best. And also kudos to your great looking cake. As I said you're getting PRO. :o)
    Happy weekend.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday to your boy boy!I bet all his classmates were so exciting when seeing this cake! So cute & colourful! You really have great talent in making beautiful cakes, Ah Tze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the kids were so excited to see the cake! The teachers has to control the situation so they don't touch the cake :)

      Delete
  16. Happy Birthday to Gabriel! 蛋糕很漂亮哦 ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday to Gabriel, bet he love his cake!

    ReplyDelete
  18. sorry, i think i'm too late here to send your Gabriel the birthday wish, but i want to tell you how pretty the cake you have done...your boy must be very proud to bring this birthday cake to his class :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!