This is my second chocolate yam/ taro layer buttercream rose cake! I tell you, I'm addicted to this design :) This round I'm still using chocolate cake premix for the sponge and filling is the yummy taro with whipping cream. I went to a few PH outlets looking for the 1M decorators tip but to no avail, so I used the wilton 2E decorators tip, the cake deco looks prettier than my previous cake deco.
You may refer to I am baker blog for how to pipe the roses.
1 pack of chocolate sponge cake premix
1.5 cup of water
1/3 cup of olive oil
1. Pour cake mixture into mixing bowl together with eggs, and water. Using electric mixer mix for 30 second in medium speed, then add oil and mix in high speed for 2 mins. The cake batter will be lumpy and shinny.
2. Pour the batter into 10" baking pan, bake at 180C for 45 mins.
3. Set a side to cool, cut into two layers. Set aside for later use.
Ingredients for yam/taro filling:
1 medium size yam, ~250g (peel, steam until soft)
250ml whipping cream
2 tbsps sugar
1. Mash the soft yam/taro together with whipping cream and sugar, mix well. Set aside for later used.
Ingredients for buttercream:
250g, 1 stick of butter (soften)
3 cups of powder sugar
3 tbsps milk
2 drops of blue food colouring
1. Beat the soften butter together with powder sugar using electric mixer on low speed for 30 second, add 1 tbsp of milk and food colouring.
2. Beat on medium speed for 1 min, add another tbsp milk. Add milk again if the buttercream consistency is too stiff.
1. Place a layer of chocolate cake on cake board, apply the yam filling on it. Place another layer of cake and cover the whole cake with yam/taro filling.
2. Place the cake into fridge for at least an hour.
3. Place the buttercream in pipping bag, and decorate the cake as desire.
4. Place the cake back into fridge for an hour before serving.