08 September 2011

Purple Sweet Potato Snowskin Mooncake: purple obsession


Gabriel brought home a piece of small yellowish snowskin mooncake, he told me "teacher made it!" the smell of the snowskin is ...yuck! too much shortening used! (Don't misunderstanding me, the snowskin mooncake he brought home was placed with his unfinished snack in his snack box, the mooncake was made in class to strengthen the students knowledge on mid-autumn festival, so as a mum you wouldn't let your kid eat this too) and I threw it to rubbish bin straight away. The story didn't end because after lunch my son asked me for the mooncake he brought home! He insisted to have it back, I shown him the rubbish bin and promised to help him make a nice one.

My purple obsession started when I baked Thousand Layers Yam Mooncake, then I saw Wendy's purple sweet potato chiffon and then again Lena's purple sweet potatoes angkoo kuih, so I couldn't get rid of the purple and come out with this Purple Sweet Potato Snowskin Mooncake! This round no food colouring used, is natural romantic purple :)



One big piece of purple sweet potato about 200g, peeled and boiled until soft. Separate the water with purple sweet potato, mashed the purple sweet potato and retain the water for later use.


Can see bit and pieces of purple sweet potatoes on the snowskin. If you ask me on the taste, yes, this is yummylicious!


Ingredients for snowskin:
200g premix snowskin powder
200g mashed purple sweet potatoes
10g shortening (no need to add all)
50ml water from boiled purple sweet potatoes
5ml pandan essence
15g icing sugar

Ingredients for filling:
red bean paste

Steps:

1. roll the red bean paste into a small balls set aside. I made 10 pieces.
2. Place snow skin powder into a small bowl, add mashed purple sweet potato, pandan essence, sugar, mix well. Graduately add water, knead into a rough dough and add shortening and knead into a smooth dough. Set aside for 30 mins.
3. Flatten the skin dough and wrap in filling, shape the dough into a ball. Place in the mooncake mould, press and dislodge imprinted mooncake.


I'm submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #11: Mid-Autumn Treats (September 2011), hosted by Happy Home Baking.

24 comments:

  1. Love the natural purple from potato, great idea! I also dislike the shortening smell..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color is outstanding! So lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 不要小看小孩子的记性,有时候好到吓人,所以以后不要乱乱丢 Gabriel 的东西了。。呵呵 ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonia, the smell of shortening make me think weather it's edible, too paranoid hahaha.


    Love2Cook, thanks, natural purple is really lovely :)


    Esther, 白油的味道太难闻了,在班上弄的,我怕不乾净。

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your son must be very dissapoint when you threw out his mooncake but mummy made up for it by giving his these lovely ones. I Love the purple color of the mooncakes. I like the idea of adding sweet potato to the skin and omit the shortening. I never like the smell of shortening in my snow skin mooncakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colour of purple in foods too :) I love the taste of purple sweet potato- it's such a shame I've never seen any here where I live :( :( I've never seen purple sweet potato snow skin mooncakes, but they sound delicious!! And they look beautiful too! I think it's be pretty cool if my teacher gave me mooncakes when i was at school :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your son is really sentimental. I guess when you made yourself, it meant much more. Luckily you had a plan B. If not, i can't imagine how heart broken he will be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gert, as a mum I've to be more careful next time, sometimes the action we did unintentionly may hurt the little soul. Btw, I didn't omit totally the shortening, only reduce to able to form a rough dough. Need to explore any replacement for the use of shortening in snowskin mooncake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Von, thanks for your compliment! Haha, I also didn't get mooncakes from my teacher when I was young. My son school does lots of baking in class :) Btw, purple sweet potato is not common in wet market, I got it from NTUC finest here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edith, whatever plan I have wouldn't compare to the first snowskin mooncake he hold in his hand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. kids leaning how to make mooncakes in school?! how educating!! i must say that the purple from the sweet potatoes do really enhance the look of the mooncakes, me getting obsessed with sweet potatoes too lately! oh, thanks for the link up there too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kids always look for their own art piece to eat. Even if I offer them a nicer looking one made by mommy, they'd still want their own made with their own sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lena, fun right? Last week before Hari Raya, the school had fun cookery for Honey cornflakes. His mummy not yet teach him how to make snowskin mooncake, his teacher already taught...hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wendy, I agreed with you! My boy also that kind of stubborn type. His teacher mold got a “秋”mine one don't have...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yaa I hv seen so many lovely purple mooncakes and angku of recent....tempting me to make some too lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice natural purple color, your moon cake looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your mooncake has a lovely and gorgeous colour! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what a beautiful mooncake...and the color is so lovely and vibrant. I hope one day to be able to sample a mooncake...I'm learning so much about them from your blog. Hope your son was distracted by these gems~

    ReplyDelete
  19. I cant find purple sweet potato. :( Yours are so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. 哈哈哈哈,你的这个模型和我的一样哦。。。。。。那么巧

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Mid Autumn Festival to you Tze, those mooncakes look really grand with their purple skin:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Purple sweet potato also one of my favourite. Isn't they look gorgeous!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!