Putu Ayu is a kind of Southeast Asia steamed cake with grated coconut on the top layer and coconut milk Screwpine leaves flavour batter at the bottom layer. It is fast and easy to make, the trick for a successful steamed cake is you have to beat the eggs and sugar until it double its volume.
Yield 15 pieces
200g plain flour
200ml thick coconut milk
150g freshly grated coconut
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pandan paste (Screwpine leaves paste)
1. Grease the plastic mould with cooking oil. Heat up the steamer.
2. Mix the grated coconut with salt and place it into steamer, steam for 5 mins.
3. Place the steamed grated coconut into the base of the plastic mould, press the grated coconut down using your fingers.
4. Beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer, beat it until creamy and fluffy, or double its volume, about 5-7 mins. Then slowly sieve in the plain flour in batches. Add the thick coconut milk and pandan paste. Continue to mix for another 2 mins.
5. Bring the water in the steamer to a boil. Scope the batter into individual plastic moulds and place the moulds into the steamer, steam for 15 mins.
6. Dislodge the cake gently by flipping the steamed cake on your palm.