This is the first time I'm making fruity yogurt ice for my kid. I didn't know it is such a easy task to make these smooth ice cream spiced with cardamon, of course the texture of it doesn't taste velvety enough to suggest it is made with cream... it doesn't. but the taste of sweet melon, corns, yogurt and the cardamon has clearly spelled out it is natural and it is healthy snack for tea break!
sieved the fruit mixture after blending (photo taken using my hand phone ^^)
fruit mixture after adding the yogurt
I'm adapting the recipe from Sara Lewis, she made the ice with peach and cardamon.
Recipe from Ah Tze's Kitchen Play
8 cardamon pods, pound and crush
1/2 small melon, 600g, cut in small cubes
4 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp corn kernels
2 tbsp water
200ml yogurt of your choice
1. Place the melon cubes in a saucepan. Add crushed cardamon pods, with their black seeds, corn kernels, sugar and water. Cover and simmer for 10 mins or until the fruit is tender. Leave to cool.
2. Place the fruit mixture into a blender, process it until smooth, then press through a sieve placed over a bowl.
3. Add the yogurt to the puree and mix together in the bowl.
4. Pour into a plastic tub and freeze for 5-6 hours until firm. Beating once or twice with fork or a processor to break up the ice crystals.
5. Scoop the ice-cream on to a platter and serve at once.
I'm linking this post with Little Thumbs Up, where the ingredient for this month is Corn, hosted by Esther from Copycake Kitchen and organised by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids and Doreen from my little favourite DIY.