I was inspired to bake this cakes after reading Min's Smiling Apple Cupcakes.
These cakes are baked for my neighbour son who came over to play with Gabriel this evening. What do you see? A duckling or a smiling face :D I think I made them look more like duckling instead of the smiling face. However, when I told the boys..."Duckling cakes!" They said "is smiling faces!" ...Haha, boys you really make my day!
These cakes are really yummy! A sure keeper for future boys party!
(makes 5-6 pieces)
1/2 apple (used green apple), peeled and chopped
1 tbsp fine caster sugar
*Rub chopped apple with sugar, add water and cook till apple is softened. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
50g butter, room temperature
40g fine caster sugar (used 30g)
1 large egg
50ml full cream milk
80g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 apple, seeded and sliced thinly
1/2 tbsp fine caster sugar
2-3 pinches of ground cinnamon
*Combine everything together and set aside.
chocolate chips (duckling eyes)
1. Preheat oven to 170C. Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter till creamy. Stir in sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy.
3. Add in eggs until totally incorporated.
4. Beat in flour in batches alternating with milk until totally incorporated.
5. Stir in the cooled apples together with the liquid until just combined.
6. Scoop batter into paper cases, arrange the cinnamon sugar apple slices on the top, insert the chocolate chips and bake in preheated oven for 20-25mins. Cool completely before serving.